Rivermuds Glass and Acrylic Thickness Calculator - Guide not Gospel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rivermuds Glass and Acrylic Thickness Calculator - Guide not Gospel

Hi everyone, I decided to share some of my work here. I've written a calculator for both glass and acrylic DIY projects.

Rivermud's Glass and Acrylic Thickness Calculator - Guide not Gospel

The glass portion of the calc defaults to a 3.8 safety factor. This is a solid choice for a safety rating on a rimless tank. If you are using bracing such as a cross brace found on most mass produced aquariums you can reduce the safety factor by a large amount. As a guide I normally use 2.4 as a SF for braced tanks. This is only meant as a guide however so please choose a safety rating that you yourself are comfortable with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	calc.PNG
Views:	12355
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	17302

The areas in yellow are editable. As I stated before, it defaults to 3.8 as a safety factor, you can choose to change this. The calculator also has a reverse calculator built in to it. The pasted example shows 1/2" (.5000) glass, it will have a safety factor of 2.2 if used with the dimensions provided above without bracing. Useful for those who are trying to work within budgets. his is also provided for bottom thickness as well.

Next, the calculator will calculate the weight of your glass. This normally isn't a major issue, but for those who are building large tanks or or are working by themselves this helps to provide them with information that can be invaluable when telling your doctor how you threw your back out.

Lastly, I have added an acrylic thickness calculator. This calculator assumes you are using square seams. It does not have the ability to calculate for compound angles and corners. As such, it is built to fudge the numbers a bit high in the interest of safety.

This calculator is only a guide, please use it as such. I will happily answer questions if you have any. Comments stating something similar to "Well, my acrylic aquarium is 26 inches tall and built out of half inch, your calculator sucks because it tells me I need (insert high number here) will be ignored as whoever posts comments like that will have failed to read the initial post in the first place and is simply trolling.

Please enjoy.

Last edited by Rivermud; 01-07-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Algae Grower

I'm a bit surprised that nobody had feedback or questions. This is Rivermud, I just changed my name and they cancelled Rivermud.. so, Rivermud now shows as banned. I'm happy to answer all questions and discuss concerns you may have.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:41 AM

tempered question

I have searched in vain for hours for a calculator to handle tempered glass. (in my case starfire tempered). I have to use tempered for my tank as it is going in a public space. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to use acyrlic.
Tank A will be 12' long, 36" tall, and a min of 28" across the bottom.
Tank B will be 8' long, preferrably 42+" tall, and 36" across the bottom.
Thank you for any insight.
Both tanks will be built of a full steel surround, backs and bottom and sides will be 1/2" bulletproof fibreglass panals coated with fish safe epoxy paint product.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 AM
ep_eagle

thanks, the other calculators didn't have as much detail as yours
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:24 AM

Starting my new 5'x5'x2.5' (LXBXH) reef tank with inbuilt sump in the main tank at the back side of main tank by giving partition after 4' width , giving sump dimension width of 1 feet, but the problem is that in the local market glass dimension of 5'x5' for base of aquarium is not available instead 5'x4' is available, so i am thinking of giving a joint of 5' x1' and 5'x4' to make it 5'x5' and doing partition after 5' x4' as main tank and 5'x1' as sump...
Can any one provide me if i am going right or their is any other way to sort out this problem, also i am doing this with 12 mm glass with braces ..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode