40g breeder on top floor? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
40g breeder on top floor?

I am looking to put a 40g breeder on the top floor of my house in my room, I am just curious if it is large enough that I should concern myself with the placement, or if it should be fine on a non load bearing wall. We have a 55 on the second floor on a non load bearing wall and it is doing just fine. It is only going to be set up for a few months before I move to an apartment where I will be on the ground floor.

Thanks!

If you feel like you're in control, you're not driving fast enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There are lots of technical questions/ answers involved but I try to keep it simple. Water at 8+/- pounds per gallon gets you around 320 pounds, add some for rocks and tank and you come in under 500pounds, easy. So would two large guys weighing 250 each be likely to damage the building? I don't hear of it happening and feel the codes would need changed with lots of the folks I see. I call it safe as that is not really one of the bigger tank sizes.
These things tend to be slow moving, long term problems if they do happen. If the building is in somewhat reasonable condition, I don't give it any more thought. If the building won't rent to football linemen, reconsider!
saty and saty like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode