Cerges Reactor pump suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cerges Reactor pump suggestions?

I am finally going to give in. I was able to get my drop checker to a blue-green today, but I'm just POURING on the CO2. The tank is a 120g tank with a sump. I have minimized splashing as much as I can along with sealing the tank and the sump, but I just can't get the CO2 levels where I want. I am getting nice growth, but some plants are showing signs of carbon deficiency (white on the leaves), and I have some BBA. And from my last tank the BBA seemed to show up when the CO2 wasn't at an adequate level-once it was fixed, it disappeared.

So I am planning on upgrading from handy-dandy ceramic diffuser to a cerges reactor. It seems to be the easiest way to go. Only thing I need to figure out, is how to power it. My current pump, I already know, will be WAY too strong for a cerges. I am getting 750gph at 6.6' of head, and I know if the reactor was plumbed inline with it I wouldn't get good diffusion.

What would be the best pump for a cerges? The pump chamber in my sump isn't very large, so I was thinking of putting it in the chamber where the pipes coming down from the tank is, and then allowing the reactor's water to empty out right in front of the return pump. I don't really need a lot of flow for that reason, so I want to make it so the reactor is as efficient as possible.

Any suggestions?

To add...
I do have a spare 300gph pump, would this be sufficient for a reactor on this tank? Or does it need to be larger?

Last edited by Little Soprano; 01-24-2016 at 03:25 AM. Reason: ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 11:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Following! I'm making a cerges reactor this weekend. I'll be using a very small pump at first, rated 80-100 gallons. Also having the pump going into uv sterilizer then maybe flowing into reactor. I don't know yet but its a first for me. I'll keep you posted.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I'd try the 300gph pump first. If it is too small then get a more powerful one. I'd discharge it before the filter media or maybe put a prefilter sponge on it if there's room for one.

Or have a closed loop? Intake goes from tank to pump/Cerges sitting in the sump back up to tank? Put a sponge on the intake so the loop doesn't get clogged up fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode