DIY CO2 with apple juice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
DIY CO2 with apple juice

Wondered if anyone else has done this? I also brew beer, mead, and cider so I am quite familiar with yeast. One of the basic cider recipes is using frozen apple juice concentrate and yeast to make a cider. Apple juice concentrate is very inexpensive and generally the cider produces CO2 in my carboys for 1.5-2 months.

I'm just getting into the planted tank hobby, but I think this may be one of the best ways to make DIY CO2. I foresee apple juice producing CO2 much longer than sugar water or jello because it contains a variety of sugars: sucrose, glucose, fructose, and sorbitol... which generally take longer.

Thoughts? I may give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:32 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have no input, but please report back. Im hoping Ill be as good at this as 'land gardening', and if so Ill be needing CO2 before I know it.

Good luck
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
so are you just taking one can of the once thawed out apple syrup concentrate and adding some yeast?

any water?

one can to how much yeast?

sounds interesting im always down to try somethin new

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
so are you just taking one can of the once thawed out apple syrup concentrate and adding some yeast?

any water?

one can to how much yeast?

sounds interesting im always down to try somethin new
I just made a pitcher of apple juice with the frozen concentrate with hot water, waited for it to get to room temperature, added it to where the 2 L bottle starts to curve at the top, and pitched about 3/4 tsp of yeast. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
It sound like a better way to go, if it works. Let us know what happens.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Heck if you buy a good yeast from a brew store like a champagne yeast or a cider yeast you would even be able to drink the stuff in a month or two and get a little loopy :P.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Whelp I pitched the yeast about 20 minutes ago and I'm already producing a good amount of CO2 through my bamboo chopstick (thanks for that great idea whoever thought of it!) I'll update this as I go.... we'll see how long it lasts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (98/100%)
whats the brand of yeast you are using?

I have some weak generic brand takes like 3-4days to produce co2 in my diy setup =(

Eheim 2217 #346

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niptek View Post
whats the brand of yeast you are using?

I have some weak generic brand takes like 3-4days to produce co2 in my diy setup =(
I strongly recommend Red Star Active Dry Yeast. I use it in all of my microworm cultures and the stuff is great. I'd also recommend getting the 4oz jar rather than the individual packets... I have noticed that it stays fresh longer in there. I store my jar in a paper bag (to keep light out) in the refrigerator. Just make sure to bring it to room temperature before you pitch it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not enough sugar to last very long.

I have found that apple juice (concentrate or not) does not last anywhere near as long as Jell-O with about 3-4 cups of sugar added while it is still in liquid form. Does the juice really have different sugars in it? I would assume it is cheapest for the companies to just toss one type in the concentrate.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paneubert View Post

I have found that apple juice (concentrate or not) does not last anywhere near as long as Jell-O with about 3-4 cups of sugar added while it is still in liquid form. Does the juice really have different sugars in it? I would assume it is cheapest for the companies to just toss one type in the concentrate.
Apples naturally contain a larger variety of sugars, so yes apple juice does have different sugars in it. I'm nearly positive that if I perfect the right amount of yeast, and the right yeast to use, I can get a 2L bottle to last almost 2 months.

The key is you want enough yeast to get the fermentation active, but not too much to overuse the sugars... and by overuse I mean produce CO2 quicker than intended.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used to have a business selling home brew supplies, and was an avid home brewer. Yeast will work the same with any sugar and water solution of the right specific gravity, provided it has other essential nutrients, (mostly b vitamins). Things like fruit juices, and molasses have enough impurities to provide the extra nutrients, jello would provide the same for a sugar and water solution. Given the same specific gravity and yeast, they will all ferment the same way. The cheapest way you can find will be as good as the most expensive for the purpose of producing c02.

Joe

Last edited by Finster; 01-02-2010 at 02:29 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Any updates on this? Gots me curious myself. Though it will be hard to get away from the jell-o method. ;o)
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0816 View Post
Any updates on this? Gots me curious myself. Though it will be hard to get away from the jell-o method. ;o)
Well it has been going for over 2 weeks and doesn't seem to have slowed at all yet. I'll keep monitoring it and let ya know when it slows/stops.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finster View Post
I used to have a business selling home brew supplies, and was an avid home brewer. Yeast will work the same with any sugar and water solution of the right specific gravity, provided it has other essential nutrients, (mostly b vitamins). Things like fruit juices, and molasses have enough impurities to provide the extra nutrients, jello would provide the same for a sugar and water solution. Given the same specific gravity and yeast, they will all ferment the same way. The cheapest way you can find will be as good as the most expensive for the purpose of producing c02.

Joe
I disagree with your last statement to an extent. Different kinds of sugars break down at different rates. Fruit juices contain a variety of sugars when compared to simple sucrose. I'm not looking for the cheapest form of CO2, I'm looking for the one that will last the longest.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode