Hand Made Betta Bowl - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Termato

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Hand Made Betta Bowl

I made this fish bowl on Saturday and I was able to fill it and get a betta in it over the weekend. I hold around 2 gallons and it's quite sturdy. I've made a few more but so far this is my favorite.

I'm planning on making a few bigger and smaller ones. Also different shapes and colors.

Here is a preview of what i'm working on: YouTube Video of new Betta Bowl

Let me know what you all think.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Termato; 01-19-2016 at 05:22 PM. Reason: added text.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Do you blow glass?

It could be good business to have them compliment with the colors to the bettas. But shipping would be a nightmare.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 05:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
That's very nice. What kinds of shapes are you thinking of trying?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was at West Elm and saw these glass bowls that were sitting on wood. They must have been placed on the wood when the glass was still hot since the bottom was shaped to the wood's contour. The largest was probably too small for a betta but would make a neat plant or shrimp only tank.

Wood + Glass Terrariums | west elm

Journals:
  • Current: Back to basics 5G
  • Re-education 5G (failed)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I'd advise keeping betta tanks to a minimum of 2 gallons but more volume is always better. Your betta will appreciate more plants in that tank, its rather barren in the video.
Very cool that you can make your own bowls though!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Enjoying the music. Pretty bowl...

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That's a friggin' awesome concept! I can see tons of variations of it.

Is it a hobby or do you do it professionally. It's something I know zilch about,

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you all for the compliments! Wow, sorry I didn't respond to any of these yesterday. I completely missed it.

I have been blowing glass for about 7-8 years now. I learned at Salisbury University where I went to school. It was my major in college. Yea, shipping glass is crazy. I'm scared of doing it hahah. But people ship fish and they are alive. I'd rather brake a vase than lose a fish.

Yes, I've seen those. That's a technique glass makers use for molding. It's widely use but definitely an unorthodox application. Very interesting. I've done a few where I've molded the glass onto metal before. Cool stuff.

This bowl is 2-2.5 gallon and it does have plants floating. This tank will not have any additional plants because it will have one giant plant with it's roots going into the bowl in the near future. Although more plants in the tank would look nice and create more hiding areas, this tank is small and leaving area for bacteria and other waste to gather is unadvisable due to no filtration. I keep it barren to make it easier to maintain. This approach has worked very well for me in the past. The room is heated, the bowl has a top, and has plants at the top. It receives daily water changes as well. Once the roots for the large overhead plant get put in, I think the effect you speak of will be achieved. I really did want to scape it, but for this specific bowl I'm going the bare route. I have so many that you will end up seeing some planted ones.

Thanks! I love good relaxing music to viewing fish. Glad you enjoy it, too.

I have already made several of these and I plan to make more. I'm working on making 4-5 gallon sizes and eventually 6-8 gallon sizes. I don't do this for a living because I am a programmer but I do have a degree in the arts. Let's just say fish and glass are two of my biggest passions.

Btw, here is a picture when I put moss in it. It got dirty so fast I couldn't believe it. 2 feedings and it was full of poop:
LinaS and LinaS like this.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

Last edited by Termato; 01-20-2016 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Image added
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I bet there is a market for pretty colourful water return pipes etc....well it beats making bongs I guess.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Algae Grower

Wow, how pretty! And what a neat hobby to have!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I bet there is a market for pretty colourful water return pipes etc....well it beats making bongs I guess.
That's a different kind of glass. You are thinking about lamp working where you use a torch. I do what's called hot glass or furnace work. It's the kind of glass you see Dale Chihuly do. It's much harder to do things like return pipes, etc. where you need to maintain a very specific size and straightness. This glass is much harder to control and is mainly used for creating artwork. We can create larger pieces much easier using our methods. Our glass has it's functional uses but because it's COE rating is so high, it doesn't handle temperature changes too well.

I wouldn't consider it a hobby, to me, because I see art as a lifestyle.

The Fish Apartment
YouTube - Termato

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode