Turning computer parts into aquarium mods - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Turning computer parts into aquarium mods

So I've been going through a lot of boxes of old computer parts I have, from back when I did custom case mods and water-cooling, all that crazy geek stuff... and as I'm going through it all it dawns on me that this stuff would make great additions to high-tech aquarium mods!

For instance, one of my water cooling kits has a volumetric flow meter, which connects to a digital readout that tells me the flow rate in Liters per hour. Also, there's another kit I had that had a really cool LCD thermometer display, designed to look like a speedometer or something, and I had replaced the thermal sensor with one that is designed for liquid, so I was able to read the temperature of the coolant in the reservoir. Then there's a whole bunch of these rheobus-type controllers that are normally designed to work with fans, but many of them can be easily modded to also work on LEDs or cold cathode rays. This opens up moonlight possibilities.

I'm just wondering... have any of you ever modded up your aquarium with PC parts, overclocking supplies, and/or other electronic gadgetry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
So far, all I did was buy a 40 mm fan from Newegg, to replace the noisey one in my light fixture.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

^ Well at least that helps to get this thread rolling! That counts, by the way. But I am looking for something a bit more geeky than that, lol.

Here's a picture of the digital thermometer gauge I found. I'm going to work this into my upcoming 2.5g custom canopy, along with a little rheobus controller that I will use to control the heat-exhausting fans and the moonlights.
Attached Images

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
always thought of gutting a old CRT and making a tank out if it, ive seen it done with old macs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to garuf
a lot of reefers use computer fans on custom built led rigs. Over here they tend to be used as a way of moving air in emerese grow out tanks.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
^ Well at least that helps to get this thread rolling! That counts, by the way. But I am looking for something a bit more geeky than that, lol.

Here's a picture of the digital thermometer gauge I found. I'm going to work this into my upcoming 2.5g custom canopy, along with a little rheobus controller that I will use to control the heat-exhausting fans and the moonlights.
Careful, don't go to crazy or you'll have to reboot your fish tank every morning!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboij View Post
always thought of gutting a old CRT and making a tank out if it, ive seen it done with old macs
I've also seen that done with an old tube TV. You know the old kind that were in big honking wooden furniture-like enclosures, that also had an old "hi-fi" system inside? One of those. It was turned into a reef tank. It was pretty cool, actually!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosman View Post
Careful, don't go to crazy or you'll have to reboot your fish tank every morning!
LOL, I won't be installing Windows or anything! :p
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
there was a thread about a yr or so ago about using a PC as a controller by installing a board to control outlets. As I recall, board came with software to control the switching.

John

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Church, now I know why I like you. You're an even bigger geek than me.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would love to do something with dimmable ballasts but that's expensive. I will probably wait till I try building LED lighting. Dimming LEDS should be easier.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
Church, now I know why I like you. You're an even bigger geek than me.
LOL, guilty as charged!

Right now I'm looking to see if I can find a DIY-able water level gauge. I found one that sets off alarms when the water gets too low, but that would just be annoying. I'm looking for one that will actually tell me in real time, on a digital LCD, what the level of the water in the tank is. Like a gas gauge in a car!

But that isn't a common thing to "meter" in PC liquid-cooling systems, so I'm not having much luck. Oh well. I really am a geek and I like geeky things. My dream tank would be a LARGE hi-tech tank that was completely computerized and monitorable, everything from water filtration, to CO2 injection, to fertilizing and beyond. Water changes could be done by sending a command to the computer from anywhere in the world. There would be multiple video cameras for monitoring purposes, plus a remote-controlled submersible camera so I could go swimming with the fishes... Oh man, I could go on and on.

If only money grew on trees...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I have 3 IP web cams that when out of town I move one to point at the tank to monitor. I use them as security cameras and a baby monitor, otherwise.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Algae Grower

I use cold cathode from an old pc case as moon lights adjusted the pci card to work off an adaptor and left the switch on the back of my canopy
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
Right now I'm looking to see if I can find a DIY-able water level gauge. I found one that sets off alarms when the water gets too low, but that would just be annoying. I'm looking for one that will actually tell me in real time, on a digital LCD, what the level of the water in the tank is. Like a gas gauge in a car!.
Church with a little bit of digging i'm sure you could hook up an Arduino to monitor a basic float switch. All that's left is to hook it up to some wifi and have it start tweeting the level of your tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode