Sump sugestions for my 125g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sump sugestions for my 125g

I`m getting ready to build the wet/dry sump for my 125. My question is, what size sump should I go with?
I have 3 options here, our local major pet store is having they`re $ per gallon. I can go 20L, 40 B, or a 30L that`s on the local clist. I`d like to go with the 40 but I`m running into a issue with height, my stand only has 22" inside to work with.
The 40 is 18", do you think I can get it plumbed and a drip plate in there? I`m thinking a 90 on top of a plate and a H made from tee`s to disperse the flow to the drip plate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You don't have to put the drip plate on top of the tank? May be a few inches in to give room for plumbing? Is your overflow coming in from the back or straight from the top (bottom drilled)?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

From the back. Its not drilled.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is there a specific reason you are going Wet/Dry? With planted tanks I was under the impression that wet/dry cause problems with off-gas of CO2 if you do inject.

I've always run a full Wet system on my freshwater tanks for simplicity sake, and in your case it would alleviate some size restrictions you're running into. I run a 20L (filled to about 15g) on my 75g tank, the overflow pipes go half-way down into the 20g sump and outlet underwater (less noise) and flow through 3 progressively finer sheets of Porret foam and into the return pump. I've basically made a large canister filter, but I can go 6-9 months without having to service and then its only flush 1 of the 3 sheets and keep 2/3s of the bio-filtration intact.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 02:43 PM
ppp
Algae Grower

I would go with the biggest possible that also allows ease of maintenance. With only 3" of head room, the 40 might be too tall. I run a 20 gal sump with my 65 gal DT. Agree with @ Bratmanxj the CO2 will outgas with the wet-dry. I use multiple layers of Porret foam of varying density and red lava rocks (from Lowes) for filtration. Additionally have 2 heaters, return pump and a dedicated pump for the Cerges reactor in the sump.

What kind of overflow are you going to use?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I'd go with the 30. It should have enough volume so you don't get nagged by a dry pump between water changes. When my 29 is full to the brim after water changes I get 8 days with no nagging and both 12 cubic feet of tank and the 29 are open top at the moment.

I wouldn't do wet dry if DIY as its better to seal it up and might be hard to do DIY. If you can manage a herbie then that is really nice for reducing noise and turbulence which degasses CO2.

You might mock up the various tanks and see if you can get in there and pull sponges and pumps out for maintenance. Bet the 40 will be impossible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
30L for a DIY submerged tank or rubber made tubs if you want to stick with a wet dry. Off gassing CO2 is really only an issue if you inject CO2. In a low tech tank, the plants use the CO2 in the water and then the gas exchange stabilizes the CO2 levels again (from my current understanding). I do plan on going with a simple wet/dry filter on my next setup. You can do a simple tower with a 5 gallon bucket in a rubber made tub with some DIY work. I believe the KindofDIY on youtube, Joey, has videos on both of these and his designs are quite close to my personal plans.

This is a huge opinion coming up: Most reefers suggest a 1:4, sump:tank, ratio. Some even suggest 1:3 and advocate a 1:2. Many suggest a sump as large as possible, even going into the 2:1 range. I like to keep it simple. Get the largest sump you can without running into space issues. I advocate only sizing it large enough to fit your equipment and the water volume necessary for a pump failure. There isn't a lot of equipment in freshwater, so you don't need to go large.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode