Is this crack fixable?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is this crack fixable??

I got a used ten-gallon but accidentally banged the corner on edge of countertop. Rather hard, it made a crunch sound. I have silicone sealant, but I have not repaired a tank myself before. Is this at all fixable or have I ruined the integrity of the whole thing? I can't feel the crack inside the tank because it's under the old sealant edge. I'm afraid because of the impact even if I patched the corner would it give way in the future. (It wouldn't have to be pretty, I just want it to hold water- intended to use it for QT / hospital tank)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would not trust it, but you could try siliconing a piece of glass over it, like a patch. See if that will hold it. Not good when the crack disappears into the bottom frame.
You could try glopping it up really well, but new silicone does not stick very well to old.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Cut away the old silicone around the area (new silicone won't stick to old), Cut from the thick centre of the beads to the outside...if you do it the other way around, you might lift some of the thin stuff on the edges.
Mask off what you don't want covered and fill and plug that corner with silicone.
Remove masking before the silicone, sets hard...give it like 15 minutes.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, I will try, thanks.
If it doesn't hold water, I'll just give it to someone for terrarium use.

|
|
|
|
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:28 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Considering its a 10 gallon, I wouldn't risk it. Easy enough to find a cheap replacement, $10 or under shouldn't be too hard. If it blows out it could easily ruin more than $10 worth of stuff, not to mention the hassle of the clean up and being out a tank when you need it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't trust it . May be fine for a dry type tank , but I would not fill it with water . That long crack is troublesome for sure . 10 gal tanks are a whole lot cheaper than a failed tank cleanup...lol .
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I did try- never learn a new skill unless you try, right? but looking at the job I don't feel at all confident in it long-term. Especially thinking yeah, what will it cost me in damages or lost fish if it gives out later. I'm not even going to try and fill it w/water, just get rid of it now.

Oh well.

|
|
|
|
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 04:53 AM
Planted Member

petco has dollar per gallon sale going on right now, i bought a 10 gallon backup/hospital tank yesterday for $10, brand new.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd better not post a pic of what I am fixing up in the TV room then... :P
I am patching with 5mm glass though...

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I hate throwing away things that can be fixed.

But there's a limit to everything, especially my time.

This sort of question comes up from time to time: Fix it or Pitch it?

My rule of thumb is I won't repair a 55G or smaller. The Petco sale is just a game-changer and so is the cost of a couple of tubes of silicone and whatever else may be required. So when you add up what the repair will cost and the amount of time involved, then factor in the risk.........for me I cut it off there.

At 75G or bigger I start to take the possibility of repairing much more seriously. There's no Petco bargains at that size and new tanks get much more expensive per gallon since the glass gets exponentially thicker.

Here's an objective statement on the risk factor: New isn't an insurance policy. It just means you can return it.

I bought 7 10G's at Petco at the beginning of last summer. One of them leaked immediately. I sometimes get lucky and the leak manifested itself on the spot and didn't blow out overnight. It was just sloppy siliconing at the factory.

I didn't even bother to return that leaker. I just turned it into 3 glass tops and ended up saving quite a bit over 3 versa-tops. So I stuck to my philosophy of not throwing out the fixable. I just re-purposed.

Another way to look at this is how do you learn this stuff unless you try, as the OP noted. In cases like this the $ sign comes off and so does the time clock. It's fun and interesting or it can end up being expensive and frustrating. You won't know unless you give it a shot.

If this tank were mine, I would have turned it into glass tops if there was a need. I wouldn't have given up on a terrarium or similar after repairing. With almost no pressure that would be ultra-low risk in my mind.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode