1Likes
  • 2 Post By insane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Question about what silicone to use for 90 gallon

Hey guys,

I just bought a 90 gallon that i am thinking about doing a amazon biotope in with some cory's and Altum angels.

Took all the old silicone off today and went to pick up GE silicone 1 Window and door to re silicone the tank, couldn't find it so i went with DAP All Purpose Adhesive sealant 100% silicone.

Put this stuff on and then red the fine print and it says: Limitation 30 gallons or smaller and not higher than 18 inches tall.

Has anyone used this before for larger tanks?

I'm guessing i will just take it off tomorrow and find the right silicone, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Want to go with the best obviously, don't want 90 gallons of water on my dining room floor.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I had never heard of a limit for silicone. That's strange. Really, what you want, is something with additives that will taint the water. I would try and find the GE or pick some up online if you have to, just to be safe. That is what I used for my sump baffles and it worked well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
GE silicone I is what I used to re-seal 55 gal a few year's back and it's still leak free.
Think I found it at Lowe's.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
Put this stuff on and then red the fine print and it says: Limitation 30 gallons or smaller and not higher than 18 inches tall.
It's probably there for legal reasons. If you read the fine print on the GE silicone, it says not to be used for aquariums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
It's probably there for legal reasons. If you read the fine print on the GE silicone, it says not to be used for aquariums.
Great, i found the GE silicone 1 at home depot. I found the All purpose and your right that is exactly what it says so i didnt go for it, bought the DAP instead.

Joey the DIY guy on you tube says to use the window and door but the all purpose is for windows and doors but then i read the part about not having it under the waterline.

I had a feeling it was kind of odd, I mean its 100% silicone.

I also just did the sides of the aquarium, cut the beads on all four sides but people are saying you should do the whole tank because the old silicone doesnt stick to the old but the old is in perfect shape the tank is only 6 years old and the lady that had it before me messed up the silicone when she scraped or cleaned the sides.

John
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You will have to seal the entire aquarium in one go. If you did the sides and not the bottom you will now have to redo the entire job.

Bump: The rule that new silicone doesn't stick to old should be amended to say new silicone doesn't seal to existing silicone.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjon View Post
You will have to seal the entire aquarium in one go. If you did the sides and not the bottom you will now have to redo the entire job.

Bump: The rule that new silicone doesn't stick to old should be amended to say new silicone doesn't seal to existing silicone.
Well there are different opinions on that but i just scraped everything out and im ready to put the new silicone in I have heard that GE Silicone 1 is the one to use only problem is there is a bunch of them, Joey the DIY guy says use window and door i found All Purpose at Home Depot but it said not to use it on aquariums, the one post above says he has used it and its fine kind of confusing. Leaking aquariums cant be very much fun.

Also have a question about cleaning off silicone the bottom silicone came right off the sides were the lady that owned the tank before me and scraped a lot of the silicone off when she did her weekly scrubing of the glass has hard spots of not sure what but it does not come off with a blade alchohol, vinegar, goof off or anything else, it is very minor im guessing it is just fine.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjon View Post

Well there are different opinions on that but i just scraped everything out and im ready to put the new silicone in I have heard that GE Silicone 1 is the one to use only problem is there is a bunch of them, Joey the DIY guy says use window and door i found All Purpose at Home Depot but it said not to use it on aquariums, the one post above says he has used it and its fine kind of confusing. Leaking aquariums cant be very much fun.

Also have a question about cleaning off silicone the bottom silicone came right off the sides were the lady that owned the tank before me and scraped a lot of the silicone off when she did her weekly scrubing of the glass has hard spots of not sure what but it does not come off with a blade alchohol, vinegar, goof off or anything else, it is very minor im guessing it is just fine.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 11:37 PM
Algae Grower

The silicone that holds a tank together is between the sheets of glass. It isn't the silicone in the corners. Removing the old silicone from the corners while leaving the old between the glass then applying new silicone in the corners makes the tank weaker than it was with just the old silicone being left alone.

The right way to re-silicone a tank is to remove all of the silicone and rebuild the tank.

I have a PhD in crazy.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 05:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Okay so i just resealed my 150 gallon using about 40 razor blades and the GE silicone I (not for aquarium use)(100% silicone). You have to remove ALL the silicone from the corners, yes every last bit, even the little bit that won't come off has to. And when you have removed it all go watch a movie or something and come back and remove the rest that you didnt notice. As deeply into the corner WITHOUT cutting inbetween the panels.. then when it is truly all gone vaccum the corners and use rubbing alcohol aggressively on the corners where you are gonna reseal and then use a new razor and go over everything again and you will probably get more off.. then the trick to resealing it is to push it into the corner so it pushes all the air bubbles out.. QUICKLY cuz when it skins over its a million times harder especially when using tape to keep a straight line.. i highly suggest Googleing videos to get a feel for the techniques and build confidence.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I used Momentive RTV108 on my 110g
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 02:26 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I had never heard of a limit for silicone. That's strange. Really, what you want, is something with additives that will taint the water. I would try and find the GE or pick some up online if you have to, just to be safe. That is what I used for my sump baffles and it worked well.
Different silicones have different properties. RTV 108 has much greater shear strength than GE 1. DC 795 will adhere to slate GE1 won't.
Doors and windows don't require a high shear strength so while GE1 is OK for sealing I wouldn't build a tank with it.
Just because a silicone says it is 100% silicone additives like mildew control are in such small amounts that it is still technically 100%. We still call gas gas even though it's mixed with ethanol. 100% silicone just isn't mixed with other stuff.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane View Post
The silicone that holds a tank together is between the sheets of glass. It isn't the silicone in the corners. Removing the old silicone from the corners while leaving the old between the glass then applying new silicone in the corners makes the tank weaker than it was with just the old silicone being left alone.

The right way to re-silicone a tank is to remove all of the silicone and rebuild the tank.
I, and many here have resealed tanks and they've lasted for years. Taking a large (ish) tank apart and rebuilding with GE1 (or any low shear silicone) is way weaker than a reseal.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in