Filter feeding timer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter feeding timer?

I'm wondering if there is a way to turn off my filter for feeding time but have it automaticlly turn back on. Sorta like a bathroom fan timer but for being off instead of on?

My filters are pretty strong and blow the food all around and so i was wanting to have them off at feeding time but don't want to forget to turn them back on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If you are handy with electronics you could build yourself a little gadget that does that. You'd need a delay timer, and a relay. You would use the NC (normally closed) contacts, and upon activating the timer the relay contacts would open, and remain open for a certain period, which would turn off your filter(s) for that time.

I don't know if there is anything ready-made...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah that is kinda along the lines of what i was thinking. I'm a little handy with electricity, but more like wiring outlets, florecent balasts, and simple wires with resestors to LEDs.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Algae Grower

The only way I know of doing this is with a full-blown controller, like the ones they use for reef tanks. Pricey though....
Try looking for AcJr. or ReefKeeperLite.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 AM
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epond83 View Post
Yeah that is kinda along the lines of what i was thinking. I'm a little handy with electricity, but more like wiring outlets, florecent balasts, and simple wires with resestors to LEDs.
If you can do that, you can built yourself a little gadget like I described. Look for the MX046 delay timer, bakatronics or qkits should have that. It has 110V in, 110V out, and a switch connector. You can adjust the delay time.

Then you need a 110V relay, which you connect to the 110V out of the timer. Wire an outlet to the NC contacts of the relay. Wire a push button to the switch of the delay timer. Put it all in a little enclosure. Push the button, the filters will turn off, and remain off for the specified delay time.

I did something a bit similar for an autodosing application.

Should be able to do all this for under $20. Or spend ten times as much and get an AquaController.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:30 AM
Algae Grower

it is really easy if you can wire a plug you can do this i will post pics i did a similar thing for my co2 and i used the closed on my relay for my co2 and the open for my moon lights that way the co2 run during the day and turns off at night when the moon lights are on.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
couldn't' you just use a pin type mechanical timer have it "on" all the time and have a pin or two (i think there 15min each) set off so it will be off during feeding.

like this

i think walmart sells em for 6 bucks in the lighting isle

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah i thought about a timer but with my schedule (or lack of one) i don't feed at a regualr time.

So a push button deal that turns off the filter for a few mins would be great, especially having a sureface skimmer on my turtle tank.

This does look like something i could try, just need to learn about relays, havn't used them before.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Yeah i thought about a timer but with my schedule (or lack of one) i don't feed at a regualr time.

So a push button deal that turns off the filter for a few mins would be great, especially having a sureface skimmer on my turtle tank.

This does look like something i could try, just need to learn about relays, havn't used them before.
Or you could just keep the filter plugged into a power strip in easy reach with an on/off switch.

(Admit it- ya'll just like making toys... )

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Or you could just keep the filter plugged into a power strip in easy reach with an on/off switch.

(Admit it- ya'll just like making toys... )
the problem with that is you need to remember to turn it back on. i do that all the time with my heater @water change time.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mostly it's my memory but yes toys a little.

Ok so i think i have this think figured out. I already have some junction boxes under my tank so that will help. I'll mount a box with this in and have power running to it, then the out goes to a the relay and the relay can just go to a female plug my filter plugs into. Basically the board runs it's own deal and the relay will get spliced in the middle of a short extention cord for the filter.

For the switch, is that powered by the board? what is the rating at this? just run small wires from then box to where i want to mount the push button switch?

For the relay, i under stand how they work now but not sure what would work, and how do you attach the wire to the 110v relays, do they have screws or something?

Last edited by epond83; 12-16-2009 at 07:59 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:

you could have the timer pins set for always on. you hit the little override button on the timer to turn off the filter, and the filter will turn right back on when ever the next pin on the timer clicks over. it will give you a ~15min delay from when you turned it off. ( i know this works on my timer atleast if you turn it off during its 'program" it will turn back on the moment the next pin clicks.)

just a thought trying to keep it easy.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That is a pretty good thought, just have to put the pin back later. Although the timer would be in a not so easy place to get to considering how often i would need to compairded to a push button switch that could be located near the door of the stand.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
That is a pretty good thought, just have to put the pin back later. Although the timer would be in a not so easy place to get to considering how often i would need to compairded to a push button switch that could be located near the door of the stand.
the pins would never need to be moved they all are set "on" when you hit the button (on the top of my timer) it sets the timer to be off if on and on if off the pins never move as the timer progresss and the next pin hits the switch in side it resumes back to the its on setting.

so you would set the timer up near somewere you can get to it easily to hit the button. feed after a few minutes as the timer moves on the next pin (already set on all the pins are set on) turns it self back on.

hit button filter stops
feed
walk away
timer keeps on going in the mean time
after 15-30 (depends on timer) it clicks over to its next pin and restarts
you do nothing.

the only thing you ever do is hit the button to turn it off the rest is automatic. hitting the button doesnt affect the pins current setting it just overrides what ever that pin is doing at that time. the next day it will still be an "on'

hope that makes since

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Are these real?

Quote:
For the switch, is that powered by the board? what is the rating at this? just run small wires from then box to where i want to mount the push button switch?
You are just closing/opening a connection. Pretty sure it is a low voltage circuit there. So running some wires to the place where you put the push button should work fine.

Quote:
For the relay, i under stand how they work now but not sure what would work, and how do you attach the wire to the 110v relays, do they have screws or something?
The right way is to use a socket for the relay which provides for connections via screws or some sort of clamps. The quick way is to solder the wires directly to the relay pins.

What bigboij is suggesting would work too, provided you find the right timer with an alternating switch, which switches back with the next notch.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode