Need ideas for auto feeder - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By shift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need ideas for auto feeder

I made a shrimp setup with plastic containers to selectively breed neo's. The system is built vertically, with overflows, all connected to each other, filters installed inside the overflows.

It won't have lighting so there will only be one tank with lights and plants to filter out some stuff.

It will be installed in my parents basement(i won't be there on daily base) so i need to make an auto feeder. It has 5 5galon tubs, if i add a bought feeder to each one of them(in my regio), it'd cost me 200 dolars easily..

There arent many DIY idea's out there as a feeder with readily available items that work on a level that shrimp could process..

ideally, i'd want a single system to distribute to over those 5 tubs once/day or one/2days ideally...

Thanks in advance for any idea's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I bought a cheap one from china for $15 and it works great!

Shrimp are also easy and dont need to be feed daily..l give mine food every few days and they graze the tank the rest of the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thats still around 100$ for all of them, this is just a small project, not sure if it'll be a success so i don't want to spend that much money on it, also, the amount of time i will be spending on the setup is more like one day/week. Everything is automated, including water changes using a drip system. If i can figure out a cheap, low time consuming way to feed them, that would be awesome

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

really how long can it take every other day or 2 to drop a pinch in a bowl even if it was 50 of them cant take more than minutes
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottison View Post
really how long can it take every other day or 2 to drop a pinch in a bowl even if it was 50 of them cant take more than minutes
like i said, its at my parents place, i live on a small apartment so i can't have most projects there... which is 50 miles away from me, so yeah, to drive that distance just to feed shrimp for just minutes like you said yourself, would be kind of gaswaste..

thank you for the input though
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I did a thread about controlling auto feeders through a microcontroller, such as an arduino. here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...tofeeders.html

I've seen some DIY autofeeders using a servo motor and some type of auger or drill bit to dispense the food, but those are really for larger tanks or ponds, and the parts are probably more than $15/tank.

I'm not sure how you would be able to build something that will feed 5 individual tanks for less than $15/tank.

DIY Enthusiast

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Need ideas for auto feeder

Throw in some veggies once a week, bribe your parents to feed or prob spend more on a DIY version then a cheap digital China one would cost

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:17 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can buy a plastic auger by the foot in different diameters online if you go this route.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Why not measure out daily feedings in little containers or bags and just ask your parents to feed them?
Do you do this as a hobby or are you trying to breed to sell?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
Why not measure out daily feedings in little containers or bags and just ask your parents to feed them?
Do you do this as a hobby or are you trying to breed to sell?
because my parents don't want anything to do with my obsession for aquariums xD.... my dad is kind of enthusiastic about the projects but doesn't want to daily feed them. They asked me to make them a planted tank, and i do all the maintenance, but they are complaining about the daily feeding xD.. so they sure as hell arent going to feed shrimp that are out of sight because i ask them

As for hobby or selling. A bit of both actually... I am really interested in what color variations I am going to be getting, but if one turns up that i can sell for some money, i will do so. I already have an emerald green shrimp with almost no transparent parts that came from my black cherries, after a few generations. I am probably gonne try to optimize that color, see where it gets me

I posted my setup here;
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88...ml#post8758490
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Try those vacation feeder tabs that last a week. Then Sell some shrimp to pay for auto feeders
azazan and azazan like this.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift View Post
Try those vacation feeder tabs that last a week. Then Sell some shrimp to pay for auto feeders
ghaha i'll do that

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode