Finally drilled my tank (while stocked) and ditched the HOB - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By ngen33r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Finally drilled my tank (while stocked) and ditched the HOB

I have limited wall space since I like to keep the tank close to the wall. I have played with HOB units and even tried to DIY a narrow one to fit behind my 3in gap. After spending more than I should have a messing around with HOB units, I finally decided to drill the tank and be done with it. The setup is a little weird but that is the fun of DIY.

I used a 1in bulkhead that feeds into a 1 1/4in U shaped train that has a T in the middle to feed the sump. This allows for a siphon to happen in 2 places if the flows get too high. The bulkhead will siphon into the U and the U will siphon into the sump if the water gets too high. I am not sure if it has any benefits but It allowed me to have the drain solidly supported. I use ping pong balls to cap off the pipes and keep the system quiet. I do not have an overflow box. I use 2 90's in the tank with a 3D printed strainer and I can control the level by adjusting the position of the strainer. It has been running for a few days and no problems.

I was nervous to drill the tank but it went really well.

I 3D printed a drilling guide and double sided taped in into the proper location. This guide also has a built in water dam to keep the drill lubricated. I drained the tank into a storage tub and got to work. I used the same tape in the inside (double sided speed tape) to keep shavings and the cutout in place. This tape is very durable and strong. I had ZERO chipout from drilling and the drill did not penetrate the tape. This allowed me to flush the shavings from the hole before removing the glass plug. I used a cordless drill at almost full speed and very light pressure.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...567809&thumb=1

I decided to paint the back of the tank this time also and remove the silly background. I installed the bulkhead FIRST backwards and then painted. This leaves me a clean glass surface for the gasket on the OUTSIDE of the tank. I glued the PVC while the paint dried and waited a few hours for it to cure. You can see the U shaped sump drain screwed into the stand and properly spaced with a couple of LEGO blocks lol.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...567817&thumb=1

This is the final configuration. The tank is nice and close to the wall. I still can get my hand behind it to remove the coupling and adjust the tank drain tube height that feeds the sump drain.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...567825&thumb=1
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...567833&thumb=1

Overall the system works really good and I am glad that I finally drilled and stopped messing around. The system is silent aside from the water flowing in the pipes. It has a soothing fountain sound that is just loud enough to enjoy and not be obnoxious or distracting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151230_234846.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	567809  

Name:	20151231_013824.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	567817  

Name:	20160103_155112.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	567825  

Name:	20160103_155549.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	567833  

Tags
drill aquarium, drill glass, drilled stocked tank, vertical drill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode