Crack in bottom rim? Replacable? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crack in bottom rim? Replacable?

So I've been talking to my BF, and I might be able to get the 40g up and running again, in the "other" basement once the 120 settles down a little bit. Would probably just be a place to grow stems to my hearts delight.

While waiting for laundry to finish I went to go see how it dried out (quite some calcium deposits on the outside, needs a vinegar wash!), and I noticed that I have a crack on the bottom rim :/

The top rim is also separating on the same side of the tank. Is this worth fixing? Is the tank doomed? Can the bottom rim be replaced? It is 30 years old this year, but I haven't seen a 40 long in a long time around here, and it's a great size to work with. The silicone is in solid shape aside from the top rim coming off in the corner which I had originally planned to resilicone, but I never saw the crack in the bottom rim...

I'm wondering if this was just a ticking time bomb.

Here's the crack:

And the rim is separating directly above it. Top rim has no cracks. The crack goes all the way through to the glass. Kind of scary actually.

Directly above that crack is where the rim is starting to seperate on top. The silicone is a little rough on that same side in the back-but its just the areas that are outside of the seam of the panels of glass. I can't see any bubbles in the silicone itself.

Do they sell replacement bottom rims?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:18 AM
Planted Member

There are a few places that make replacement rims. I believe the 40 long is the same footprint as a 55 right? If so you should have a few options for replacement top and bottom rims. I definitely would not put water in that tank in its current state. The fact that both the top and bottom cracked in the same area makes me thing the entire piece of glass is pushing out.

If it were me I would just buy a new tank. It will probably cost about the same as replacement rims in the end. Granted, it won't be a 40 long though.. You could pick up a 55g at the dollar per gallon sale going on right now.. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy!! View Post
There are a few places that make replacement rims. I believe the 40 long is the same footprint as a 55 right? If so you should have a few options for replacement top and bottom rims. I definitely would not put water in that tank in its current state. The fact that both the top and bottom cracked in the same area makes me thing the entire piece of glass is pushing out.

If it were me I would just buy a new tank. It will probably cost about the same as replacement rims in the end. Granted, it won't be a 40 long though.. You could pick up a 55g at the dollar per gallon sale going on right now.. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
Top rim isn't cracked, but its coming up off the glass. I never did think about getting a bottom rim for a 55. Only difference between the two is height.

It was filled up until a few weeks ago. Never saw any bowing. There aren't any stress marks on the top rim.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 01:23 AM
Algae Grower

http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/48-x-18-frame

They also have other sizes. That is just the link I had bookmarked.

I have a PhD in crazy.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 03:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yeah I had to learn the hard way that with obvious damage like that it really isn't worth the risk. You could gamble on it which I definitely do not recommend, you could hit up the Petco DPG sale on now for Aqueon tanks and get a 55 that will fit on the same stand, or you could spend twenty bucks to laboriously repair a decades old tank. I do understand the appeal of the latter choice, but a new, larger tank for a modest amount more sounds better to me.

33 Long tanks also have the same footprint as a 55 and a 40 long if they're easier to come by but I don't recall ever seeing one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode