DIY Help Adding Powerhead - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Help Adding Powerhead

I current have a DIY Co2 and am running it through the Hagen co2 diffuser ladder but don't feel I'm getting optimum diffusion. I have a Marineland Power Head 550 which has an adapter for the air intake I was wondering if I can connect my co2 system to this and have it blast the Co2 into the tank as it would if I left the air adapter on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
yes you can; that method is called misting...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That air fitting on powerhead outlets sucks air into the outlet flow. When you use DIY CO2 it is a bad idea to apply suction to the output of the DIY container, because that can suck some of the yeast/sugar/water solution into the aquarium. Also, if you just stick the CO2 hose into the inlet of a powerhead the CO2 bubbles get chopped up by the powerhead rotor giving much finer bubbles and better diffusion of the CO2 into the water. But, that also applies some suction to the CO2 line - not much, but some.

Hoppy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So you suggest placing the tubing into the water intake rather than air intake. If I go this route do I need a diffuser at the end of the Co2 tubing.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (456/100%)
I use a Rio 50 to futher diffuse the air bubbles from my glass diffuser. I place the glass diffuser an inch below the Rio 50.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok so what I think I'm going to do when I get home is run my Co2 line down the back of the tank behind the power head to the bottom of the intake for the power head. I'll place an elbow connector at the end of the line so it ends up directly under the intake and the bubbles go straight in no suction on the Co2 line. I think this will work any thoughts as to possible issues?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonesrjc View Post
Ok so what I think I'm going to do when I get home is run my Co2 line down the back of the tank behind the power head to the bottom of the intake for the power head. I'll place an elbow connector at the end of the line so it ends up directly under the intake and the bubbles go straight in no suction on the Co2 line. I think this will work any thoughts as to possible issues?
it will work. issues are the noise generated as the bubbles are chopped up by the powerhead's impeller and microbubbles flying all around your tank. it would be more effective than your ladder though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode