Glass cut failure, anyone with plastics experience? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Glass cut failure, anyone with plastics experience?

I have worked several times with cutting glass but for some reason the pane I worked on today went terribly, I have made aquariums, vivarium and sumps but for some reason could not break the glass properly today. With all that said I'd rather use something with a little more forgiveness, has anyone used hdpe with success or maybe even pvc sheet? I'm making a weir and baffles for a new sump, seems a plastic sheet and a hand saw+water flow will work out but looking for opinions on this.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plastics are easy to cut and glue together, but are soft enough to flex.
If you have the basic container, but need to use plastic for the dividers, you might get by with thinner material, but if you are using the plastic to make the box then you need to use a thicker material, and proper workmanship to ensure it will be water proof. A minor leak in the interior dividers is not a big deal.

Each type of 'plastic' will need the correct 'glue'. Actually, the glue is more of a solvent, and melts the plastic in a very small area and then the parts will weld together.

To cut flat sheets of plastic to size, then cut notches to direct water flow you can use hand tools such as a hack saw, or small power tools, such as a Dremel or other small power saw with a fine tooth blade. Usually these blades will be labeled for plastic, and will work for all forms of 'plastic'. Holes can be drilled with any wood working drill bits. Go slow when cutting or drilling with power tools. The plastic can heat up and melt.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 01:00 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Good info Dianna. Have built many things with acrylic - best advice is keeping the blade cool. I have used a fine tooth metal blade on a jig saw, 18 tooth blade on a sawzall, and a plywood blade on a table saw. All have worked nicely as long as the blade stays cool (wet). Once cut, you can file the edges flat or use 100 grit on a block of wood to get things close. 220 grit wet paper on a block of wood will polish the edges nicely. Most recent acrylic project.

heel4you and heel4you like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Good info Dianna. Have built many things with acrylic - best advice is keeping the blade cool. I have used a fine tooth metal blade on a jig saw, 18 tooth blade on a sawzall, and a plywood blade on a table saw. All have worked nicely as long as the blade stays cool (wet). Once cut, you can file the edges flat or use 100 grit on a block of wood to get things close. 220 grit wet paper on a block of wood will polish the edges nicely. Most recent acrylic project.

If I already had a jigsaw or sawzall I would no doubt use one, maybe I'll get a dremmel for it. Could I use a Dewalt end grinder instead of the dremmel? I already have one on hand and could easily keep it cool with a hose or something. Otherwise I can purchase a hand saw which I should technically own anyway since I do a lot of wood work.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What sort of blades can you get for the grinder? It might work.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 02:27 AM
Captain

Might be a little over kill, but I have used a diamond rimless blade in the angle grinder to cut almost anything.
DEWALT 4 in. Ceramic Tile Circular Saw Blade-DW4729 - The Home Depot

Again, keep it cool with water.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
With a grinder to smooth any rough cuts, I might suggest scoring and snapping as a quick easy way. Maybe a walk through one of the hardwares would find somebody to show how they do the cuts? Easier to see than to describe.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Might be a little over kill, but I have used a diamond rimless blade in the angle grinder to cut almost anything.
DEWALT 4 in. Ceramic Tile Circular Saw Blade-DW4729 - The Home Depot

Again, keep it cool with water.
Yeah those blades are awesome, I use a similar one in a 12 inch demo saw, cuts through even the thickest cast iron like butter. And anything that will work in a dreamel can technically work in a die grinder with caution. Dremmel has higher rpm but the torque in my grinder is quite high. I'll try to find something similar to what you used in the angle otherwise I'll cut by hand via fine tooth wood saw.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

After a few searches and a gander at a fabrication website I frequent I think I'll be using a hand saw with a bit of water, not just to find the perfect medium between tpi. Also trying to figure out if it's safe to sand the edges with a random orbit sander. I'll be using a ultra fine grit but I'm just not sure if it will work out as well as sanding glass.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:41 AM
Captain

I have found the random orbit sander with wet 250 is great for rounding off edges and making things nice and smooth prior to buffing. But, it does not do much good in getting the cut line absolutely flat / square.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I have found the random orbit sander with wet 250 is great for rounding off edges and making things nice and smooth prior to buffing. But, it does not do much good in getting the cut line absolutely flat / square.
Since this is for baffles and a weir I don't expect I'll need perfection. Do you happen to know the best silicone for glass to plastic?

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 04:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Since this is inside the sump, not being used to actually hold water, you can use the same silicone as is used for glass-to-glass bonding. It is not perfect. It may fail. But if it fails it is not the disaster that it would be if the silicone failed in an aquarium.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 05:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
A friend of mine used to cut acrylic and make boat windshields. He used to use a good quality blade and a table saw. No water ever. He also used a router to polish the edges for gluing. I've done a few sumps the same way. And made a few pieces and baseplates for my router table.

When you cut the glass did you use a lubricant like mineral spirits? It makes a big difference.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
When you cut the glass did you use a lubricant like mineral spirits? It makes a big difference.
Mineral oil, a decent wheel, and a single score across the sheet with enough pressure so it sounds like tearing paper. The secrets of success!

They also make a blade to score acrylic so you can snap it. They are very inexpensive (like $5) and a lot easier to use than a razor knife or similar tool. Start with a light pressure along a straight edge to start a score and then go over it a few more times increasing the pressure.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 03:43 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I never had luck with cutting glass thicker than 1/4 inch with the glass cutter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode