• 4 Post By brandonhauser
  • 2 Post By Fujiija
  • 2 Post By ichy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Attention API Master Test Kit Users

You have all been missing out! Lets be honest, that case that's included with the API master test kit is crap. So I went on the search for something better. Scanning amazon, there were a few different racks that would hold the api tubes, but none that would hold the bottles as well. This was quite important to me, so I kept looking. Just when I was about to accept defeat, I stumbled upon this review. Let me just say bravo, Paul Ferguson. This is his brainchild. The only modification I made to his design was adding a slot in the middle of the rack for the color charts. For those interested in doing this yourself, http://www.amazon.com/Karter-Scientific-208U2-Plastic-Detachable/dp/B005Z4QWIK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451586288&sr=8-1&keywords=test+tube+rack is the link to the product. I used a 932 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone on my dremel for the entire project. I found that it was perfect to create the rounded corners I was after. Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	565833  

Name:	FullSizeRender 2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	565841  

AquaMaxx 22gal Long (Journal to come)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 05:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice idea! Thanks for sharing.
The existing test kit has been driving me nuts. I was about to slice two of them apart and glue the matching halves together to have tubes in one place and bottles in another.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Love it! I have a test tube rack and put everything in a plastic shoe box. But the bottles fall over and it's still a mess, albeit contained in one plastic box.

I may give this a shot, although I have more than just one Master Test Kit. I also use pipettes (not syringes) that make it so much simpler to transfer water from the tank to the test tube. I don't know why people use syringes - just buy those disposable plastic pipettes. They come in 1 mL, 3 mL and larger sizes with graduated 1mL markings. You can cut the tip if you need to suck up blackworms too. Good for water testing as well as spot dosing Excel without the hassle of a syringe with a barrel.

I'll have to rethink parts of the rack. Thank you for posting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll check out those pipettes, haven't thought of it yet! I have the syringes mostly for measuring out ferts. Thanks (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujiija View Post
Love it! I have a test tube rack and put everything in a plastic shoe box. But the bottles fall over and it's still a mess, albeit contained in one plastic box.

I may give this a shot, although I have more than just one Master Test Kit. I also use pipettes (not syringes) that make it so much simpler to transfer water from the tank to the test tube. I don't know why people use syringes - just buy those disposable plastic pipettes. They come in 1 mL, 3 mL and larger sizes with graduated 1mL markings. You can cut the tip if you need to suck up blackworms too. Good for water testing as well as spot dosing Excel without the hassle of a syringe with a barrel.

I'll have to rethink parts of the rack. Thank you for posting.

AquaMaxx 22gal Long (Journal to come)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 06:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I make this one...
It holds all the bottles and tubes for the basic kit plus Gh and Kh.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by ichy; 11-02-2016 at 12:29 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 06:44 PM
Planted Member

[email protected],
Great find!!
Thank you for sharing!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sorry to wander - just more thoughts:

Use the Bettix bottles for measuring out ferts if you make your own. Love these. This is a 1 liter bottle with attached measuring reservoir. Makes fert dosing super easy. Also comes as a 500 mL bottle but I don't recommend the 2 liter bottle as it's very inaccurate. Hard to see the raised graduated markings so I outlined my target 30 mL dosing with a Sharpie pen.

I taped an old test tube onto my Excel bottle to hold a 3mL plastic disposable pipette. Makes dosing and measuring Excel quick and accurate, especially if you are dosing a small tank.

Two different disposable plastic pipettes that are very useful for all kind of things aquarium related.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bettix bottle.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	565977  

Name:	Flourish.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	565985  

Name:	pipettes.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	565993  

Tags
api, diy, rack, test tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode