Plumbing help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Plumbing help

I'm starting to plan my new plumbing scheme. How do I determine the size of intake(s) needed to run the following:
2 - eheim 2028
2 - mag 9.5 (one for needle wheel diffusion, one for inline reactor)

How many intakes should I use? It is a 125 gallon tank 72" long. Should they be closer to the bottom of the tank or near the top?

I plan on two manifolds.
The second mag 9.5 isn't being used but will drive the reactor. Currently the reactor runs on the output of the 2028 and I don't like the flow output.

Would like to reduce the amount of things in the tank and have a very good turn over.

What would be the best way to output all of the items into the tank?

I know quit a few questions, but I would really like to do it better and cleaner.

Current idea.

Thanks,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You seem to have a very similiar setup that i have. My tank is a 125 gallon, and im running 2 2028's but only with one mag9.5 with infractioning impeller. I ended up running my mag9.5 on its own closed loop. I'm running a black background, so i was able to paint the pvc tubing with fusion paint and the pipes blend in pretty well. I also have a huge driftwood in the center which hides a lot of the tubing also. The return line from the mag9.5 also "T's" behind the driftwood, and adds flow to each side of the tank. Those mag9.5 use alot of electricty when kept on 24/7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My tank is also painted black on the back.
What is the size of the intake and output from the mag 9.5? I was only running the needle wheel but didn't get the amount of CO2 needed. So I added a reactor to the 2028 and it helped but don't like the lack of flow.
After it Ts in the tank how far does it go?
How is your CO2 level?
Any way to take a couple pics or make a sketch of your setup?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Algae Grower

I believe i used 1 inch PVC, its been about a year ago since I set it up. The 1 inch PVC goes int the tank and i uesed right angle elbows to go over the top of the tank rim. Then I added restricters from the 1 inch to 5/8 barb, and then run 5/8th poly to the mag pump. I'll try to get some pics of this set up. Is your needle wheel the infractioning impeller? Oh...i also scrapped the venturi tube that came with my mag and made my own out of PVC, and attached a 1/4 inch nipple into the PVC. After the "t" spilt one end goes about 12 inches, and the other about 10 inches. The micro CO2 bubbles fill up the entire tank when running, and my drop checker shows a light green which is placed high on one side of the tank.

I used to also shut off the mag9 at the same time the CO2 went off, but I read that ppl were having issues with their mag when shutting it down and restarting..so now i leave it on 24/7 and just shut the CO2 off.

You'll notice 3 sets of tubed in the middle of the tank. The one tube towards the right in the center is for water changes only...it goes directly to my basement to a slop sink the other 2 tubes are for the closed loop for the Mag 9 the other intakes towards the other ends are for the 2028s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Your setup is very close to the way I'm doing it other then I'm using 3/4" PVC on the output of the Mag 9.5 all the way into the tank and it splits in both directions. It is the infractioning kind. I think I might be reducing the output flow too much. Maybe I'll start there and see what happens. I let the pH controller handle the CO2. So the pump stays on all of the time. Where did you place the intake and output for your mag?
Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBoy1205 View Post
Your setup is very close to the way I'm doing it other then I'm using 3/4" PVC on the output of the Mag 9.5 all the way into the tank and it splits in both directions. It is the infractioning kind. I think I might be reducing the output flow too much. Maybe I'll start there and see what happens. I let the pH controller handle the CO2. So the pump stays on all of the time. Where did you place the intake and output for your mag?
Thanks

That pic is from a year ago when i first set up the tank....now you cant see the piping at all due to al the plant growth! Also what i ended up doing was buy thos magnetic tube holders. The suction cups lose their shape and get super hard after a few months..the magnetic ones cost extra but hold up 30times better. Also the Mag input and output are the two tubes in the center (the 2 towards the left of the center behind the drift wood) you cant see the "T" since its hidden by the wood. Also after the "T" extensions I have 45 degree elbows which shoot the return water towrds the fornt of the tank from right behind the driftwood. If you were just running a Mag9 in a closed loop, that pump can move alot of water just by itself. thats why by just shooting in some CO2 before the Mag...you can get great flow in the tank with the CO2 added in. If im not mistaken the mag 9.5 moved like 900gph or something like that.....

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the pic. It gives me an idea on how I'm going to modify mine. I think I'm running into the way my water circulates around the tank. Thanks for the help!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode