LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
C2C
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
DIY Stand thread

Ok i need to build a stand for my 20long

problem is most of the stand plans require more tools than what i have

all i have is an electric hand drill and a miter saw i think thats what its called

so please post a link to something that can be built with these tools

2x4 and plywood is what im thinking

thanks

Filstar Pimp #154
XP2
XP3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
I woould start by looking through the sticky in the DIY section.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...iy-stands.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you want to use plywood you're going to have a hard time cutting it to size without at least a jigsaw (which can be purchased fairly cheap, but cut quality is proportional to price). Some big-box hardware stores will cut panels for you, however, so that would be an option if you have one of those nearby.

edit: oh yeah, hoppy's post reminded me of the skilsaw, so a jigsaw isn't your only option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The coolest fish I've owned: Silver Arowana, Silver and Gold Datnoids, Archer Fish, Anableps, Mudskipper, African Leaf Fish, True Leaf Fish, Moth Catfish, Chaca Chaca, Apistogramma agasizzi.

Last edited by Alpinist; 12-08-2009 at 10:39 PM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you were to buy a sturdy stand for your aquarium it would very likely cost a lot more than you will spend building one. So, take about 75% of that savings and buy a good tool or two, which you can then use to build other projects later on. That is how you build up a good workshop, at no cost to you.

About 40 years ago, a co-worker gave me that advice, and I have never forgotten it. Following that advice I, at one time, had a 16' x 24' workshop, equipped with nearly every power tool I could ever need.

If you add a "Skil Saw", one of these: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16448 and a random orbit sander, you are ready to build almost anything from plywood.

Hoppy
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
C2C
Wannabe Guru

i remember now that looking at those pictures in you link hoppy that i have one of those circular hand saw things

Filstar Pimp #154
XP2
XP3
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you add a "Skil Saw", one of these: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16448 and a random orbit sander, you are ready to build almost anything from plywood.

I would add that a belt sander is a very effective tool if used in the right manner. It can solve (and cause) a lot of problems very quickly, especially if you are into the rough "2x4's and plywood" approach.

The coolest fish I've owned: Silver Arowana, Silver and Gold Datnoids, Archer Fish, Anableps, Mudskipper, African Leaf Fish, True Leaf Fish, Moth Catfish, Chaca Chaca, Apistogramma agasizzi.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
C2C
Wannabe Guru

its only ffor my room so i need mostly function not form

Filstar Pimp #154
XP2
XP3
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You have three fifths enough tools to build a stand for a 20L. The three missing tools are a tape measure or accurate yard stick, a screw driver and a set of band clamps to hold things in place while you glue and screw it together. Conveniently enough most $ stores carry a card of four ratcheting band clamps. The call it a luggage compressor or something like that. If you are careful in drilling and screwing things together you can omit the band clamps.

Your next tool purchase, by the way, should be a $35 - $60 name brand random orbit sander. After you do something with it that would have taken hours by hand, or been torn up by a belt sander, you won't regret the purchase. I have two now and keep 120 grit on one and 220 grit on the other. I have a belt sander but rarely use it since finally trying a random orbit sander.

The stand will be made of straight flat 1x3 or 2x4 stock which you can cut with your miter saw. Been there done that. In college I once built a whole room of furniture and cut all the wall paneling with a hand powered miter saw. (back saw) If you have a miter box so much the better. Also, you may be able to ask the lumber yard or big box store to make your cuts for you. If they charge you for cuts, make sure they cut the pieces accurately.

You will need a tube of wood glue and coarse threaded drywall type screws that are a bit shorter than two times the thickness of your chosen wood. I purchased a decent counter sink to allow me to set the heads under the wood surface. A bit of filler and the screws are out of sight.
Please read and follow the directions on the glue bottle. Glues change but guys generally don't. Reading the directions might save you a lot of time and sanding. For instance - polyurethane glues (Gorilla glue) shouldn't be applied like white or yellow wood glue.

Now search for the stick built stands and get to it.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
C2C
Wannabe Guru

thank you
i just dont have bandclamps or the sander
i should get another tube of filler
used most of it when i built my pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You have three fifths enough tools to build a stand for a 20L. The three missing tools are a tape measure or accurate yard stick, a screw driver and a set of band clamps to hold things in place while you glue and screw it together. Conveniently enough most $ stores carry a card of four ratcheting band clamps. The call it a luggage compressor or something like that. If you are careful in drilling and screwing things together you can omit the band clamps.

Your next tool purchase, by the way, should be a $35 - $60 name brand random orbit sander. After you do something with it that would have taken hours by hand, or been torn up by a belt sander, you won't regret the purchase. I have two now and keep 120 grit on one and 220 grit on the other. I have a belt sander but rarely use it since finally trying a random orbit sander.

The stand will be made of straight flat 1x3 or 2x4 stock which you can cut with your miter saw. Been there done that. In college I once built a whole room of furniture and cut all the wall paneling with a hand powered miter saw. (back saw) If you have a miter box so much the better. Also, you may be able to ask the lumber yard or big box store to make your cuts for you. If they charge you for cuts, make sure they cut the pieces accurately.

You will need a tube of wood glue and coarse threaded drywall type screws that are a bit shorter than two times the thickness of your chosen wood. I purchased a decent counter sink to allow me to set the heads under the wood surface. A bit of filler and the screws are out of sight.
Please read and follow the directions on the glue bottle. Glues change but guys generally don't. Reading the directions might save you a lot of time and sanding. For instance - polyurethane glues (Gorilla glue) shouldn't be applied like white or yellow wood glue.

Now search for the stick built stands and get to it.

Filstar Pimp #154
XP2
XP3
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
C2C
Wannabe Guru

hmmm how can i convince my dad that 2x4s and ply wood will hold my 20long

Filstar Pimp #154
XP2
XP3
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

show him a pic of my 55

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C View Post
hmmm how can i convince my dad that 2x4s and ply wood will hold my 20long
aren't 99% of all tank stands made of 2x4s and plywood?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
heck the pre-built petco stands don't even have the 2x4's. just the plywood holding everything up.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
aren't 99% of all tank stands made of 2x4s and plywood?

The stand for my 120g isn't even made of 2x4s, just 1" plywood....to be fair, the weight is supported by 2 pieces of 1" plywood joined together, but no 2x4s just the same.

I've seen stands built for 120-P's made from 1"x1".

And to the OP:

A good cheap way to make a stand without a lot of tools is to build it entirely out of 2x4s, and wrap it in black fabric for appearance. You can do that with the tools you have and a staple gun.

__
__
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
C2C
Wannabe Guru

he doesnt think plywood is strong enough to hold my tank so he wants 2x4s across the top as well

Filstar Pimp #154
XP2
XP3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode