DIY Aqueon Water Changer - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
DIY Aqueon Water Changer

I'm liking the aqueon water changer but it's falling apart on me so I decided to build an indestructible version. I really like the valve feature to direct the flow of water.

Forgive me if I have some of the names wrong.

One warning, I don't think this will fit in a typical bathroom sink. It's a bit long (7"-8"). And the reason why I used that type of hose nip is because it's useful to detach the hose when attaching the fixture to the faucet.

total price: I think $28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Have you tested it? I think it will be fine for filling, but since it has no eductor/venturi, it won't be able to create suction. If the discharge is low enough, it should be able siphon like a plane hose (use the tap to charge the hose then turn the tap off).

Here is a company that makes eductors and a cut-away view
http://www.nciweb.net/eductor1.htm
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

yeah, I was worried about the venturi too but it worked. All that's needed is a difference in pressure. I blasted the faucet and once the syphon started, I turned off the faucet and let gravity do the work. I made this last weekend and waited for today's water change to test it out. I was going to reuse the metal fittings if it didn't work out.

But a pvc venturi would work better.
http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cg...C-Venturi-Tees

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I made one of that is almost exactly like yours. Mine uses quick disconnects to a spigot outside. I have absolutely no problems starting a syphon.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Many hardware stores sell a jet pump for use with water beds. I use one of those for aquarium water changes. Works great, but I suspect not all that much better than this idea.

Hoppy
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

Old thread but, does the eductor/venturi have anything to do with an Aqueon working at the same height as your tank? Can you create suction with an Aqueon at the same height as your tank?
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

Yeah, the venturi creates negative pressure drawing water from the tank.

I made one with the venturi pvc tee. It doesn't work that well.

A trick to get the suction to work without a venturi is to close the valve on the water changer to fill the hose with water, then open the valve. Suction will be automatically be made. This theoretical should work only where the tank is above the water changer.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 04:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

Which part is the eductor/venturi? This tapered section here?

Or is it this bottom section? I thought all this bottom flare did was create a nice dump shape for your waste water?

I put a female pipe thread-to-male garden hose adapter on mine so I can run a garden hose to fill my tank, I am not using it for draining or siphoning but I am wondering if that would even work with a 3/4" hose going to your gravel vac...now it would loose pressure I assume? Luckily I just use it to mix my water temp before sending it to my tanks:

Using your photo and guide here I went to the store and built my own here is my alteration so that I can basically link the Aqueon in the photo above with this DIY one. I am going to however swap out my 3/4" to 1/2" hose adapter to a 3/4" to 3/4" hose adapter on the waste discharge after the elbow and hope I can use the garden hose tap water from the Aqueon to start my siphon (this DIY valve will be under the tank by only a few inches). The waste water hose will fill a 5 gallon bucket for watering plants if this works:

Last edited by Teebo; 09-20-2015 at 05:43 AM. Reason: .
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

It looks like the venturi starts even before the tapered part. It ends where the water comes in. I have a broken one I can dissect in half to see. I don't have a dremel so that might make it hard.

Here's a drawing of it without me cutting one open.

Here's a picture of where I broke the water changer. It's glued with gorilla glue I think

It wasn't that hard to break. I just came off after a while.

Last edited by mistergreen; 09-20-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: +
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks man, it does not seem as if my DIY valve system will work than (I have not tested yet). I may have to buy a second Aqueon for my tank side of my system.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 04:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Alright so I did step up the 1/2" barbed nipple to a 3/4"

I have a 5 gallon bucket I drain my water into since my tank is too low to siphon into the sink plus I use it to water my garden and house plants. As you mentioned it does work if below the tank, I close the waste valve and open the fresh water valve until the hose it primed going to the tank. Close the fresh water valve, open the waste valve and vola it drains into the bucket, reverse the process and I can fill the tank I love it!

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
How serendipitous! I came on because I want an easy way to drain the 60g we're breaking down and do some rapid fire water changes to clean out my 5g to combat an algae bloom and I was looking for DIY water changer ideas, figured I would have to search for a while!

So the only part I'm still unclear on, is what the Venturi does and is it definitely necessary for draining a tank that's not high up enough for Gravity draining? Thanks in advance!
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
So the only part I'm still unclear on, is what the Venturi does and is it definitely necessary for draining a tank that's not high up enough for Gravity draining? Thanks in advance!
A Venturi valve will create a suction when a water flow passes through it. It's not a strong enough suction to lift water very far (water is actually quite heavy), so that's something to keep in mind if you can not siphon (gravity drain) your tank. In that case I'd suggest a small water pump

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
How serendipitous! I came on because I want an easy way to drain the 60g we're breaking down and do some rapid fire water changes to clean out my 5g to combat an algae bloom and I was looking for DIY water changer ideas, figured I would have to search for a while!

As long as the tank is above the water changer, you can create a siphon. If you have a pump, it would work faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Children Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
Alright so I did step up the 1/2" barbed nipple to a 3/4"

I have a 5 gallon bucket I drain my water into since my tank is too low to siphon into the sink plus I use it to water my garden and house plants. As you mentioned it does work if below the tank, I close the waste valve and open the fresh water valve until the hose it primed going to the tank. Close the fresh water valve, open the waste valve and vola it drains into the bucket, reverse the process and I can fill the tank I love it!
Nice setup. Also if you put a carbon house filter on the incoming water, you can remove chlorine. No need to shock your fish or use dechlore. The water rate has to be a little slower to be effective with removing chlorine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited by mistergreen; 09-22-2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: +

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode