Anyone diy a fluidized sand canister? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Anyone diy a fluidized sand canister?

I'm thinking of building one when I get home for my geophagus setup, just looking for ideas from others. Also curious if anyone has put bends in pvc with a heat gun? I'm not a fan of tubing

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The king of diy has a tutorial on a sump, maybe you can modify that?

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 10:35 PM
Algae Grower

Fluidized sand canister is ok but if you should loose power for any amount of time the bacteria contained inside will soon die off its quite an old method of filtration nowerdays and not used much here in the UK

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty.h View Post
Fluidized sand canister is ok but if you should loose power for any amount of time the bacteria contained inside will soon die off its quite an old method of filtration nowerdays and not used much here in the UK
The possible die off is the same with any canister filter, that said I'm not worried about power outages I have solar+battery backup.
I also saw the king of did videos and doesn't really make a canister version

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

But why not use K1 micro? Those are waay cooler imo
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had a fluidized bed filter way back but it just seemed like a gimmick. You have to get the flow just right and the only advantage it has over a regular canister filter is size.

The same is true of pretty much all of the fancy biological filtration systems, none of them will do any better than a box of plastic rings (or a bunch of plants), they will just take less space. Unless you are running a farm I don't think it matters.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostertech View Post
But why not use K1 micro? Those are waay cooler imo
K1 has far less surface area and is not as self cleaning.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 691175002 View Post
I had a fluidized bed filter way back but it just seemed like a gimmick. You have to get the flow just right and the only advantage it has over a regular canister filter is size.

The same is true of pretty much all of the fancy biological filtration systems, none of them will do any better than a box of plastic rings (or a bunch of plants), they will just take less space. Unless you are running a farm I don't think it matters.
I'm approaching this in the same way you would a swimming pool, the eventual location of this filter will be inside a sump devoted to just heaters and mechanical. So your point in my case is valid, size is everything in this setup I'm trying to put together. And this is far less gimmicks than it is powerful, a pound of sand used properly is good enough for a 100g tank filled with fish, my tank 40b and eventually 65 tall, over stocked. So it seems necessary to me, and fun.

I won't be buying a pre made fluidized bed filter as they are too hard to set correctly, diy puts all the control in my hands and is far easier to get consistent results from it. I just lack the ideas to build from.

All that said I'll likely do something similar to the king of diys build mixed with his diy hob canister.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
I'm approaching this in the same way you would a swimming pool, the eventual location of this filter will be inside a sump devoted to just heaters and mechanical. So your point in my case is valid, size is everything in this setup I'm trying to put together. And this is far less gimmicks than it is powerful, a pound of sand used properly is good enough for a 100g tank filled with fish, my tank 40b and eventually 65 tall, over stocked. So it seems necessary to me, and fun.

I won't be buying a pre made fluidized bed filter as they are too hard to set correctly, diy puts all the control in my hands and is far easier to get consistent results from it. I just lack the ideas to build from.

All that said I'll likely do something similar to the king of diys build mixed with his diy hob canister.

Sand or K1 media?

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Sand or K1 media?
It's going to be sand, k1 is less efficient and takes up too much space

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

pretty easy to DIY
just get a pipe to the bottom of a canister and attach a return line to the lid, fill it up with sand and you're done.
you can choose what ever media you want to use, just make sure the media can move around
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm trying to find a jar that will work. Will post results when I finally finish it

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
DIY - Acrylic Fluidized Bed Filter

The idea can be changed to your liking, but the principle is the same.

Bending PVC with a heat gun? I do it often. It is very common in the 'cosplay' world. I've seen people make elbows out of straight pipe. If you want a mandrel bend, pack the joint with sand before you bend it so the pipe doesn't compress on itself.

Back to the fluidized filter. I believe you want a good bit of mechanical filtration pre-fluidized filter media. You could replace the gravel with foam IIRC, but make sure you use something before that as mechanical.

Good luck.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
DIY - Acrylic Fluidized Bed Filter

The idea can be changed to your liking, but the principle is the same.

Bending PVC with a heat gun? I do it often. It is very common in the 'cosplay' world. I've seen people make elbows out of straight pipe. If you want a mandrel bend, pack the joint with sand before you bend it so the pipe doesn't compress on itself.

Back to the fluidized filter. I believe you want a good bit of mechanical filtration pre-fluidized filter media. You could replace the gravel with foam IIRC, but make sure you use something before that as mechanical.

Good luck.
Thank you very much for that, great build, only issue would be sourcing 1/4 acrylic that wouldn't break the bank, I have everything to cut it but the plastics suppliers around me are ridiculous. I'll go and take a look at scrap boxes at tap plastics and the like and see if I can dig something up, I'm thinking 4 or 6 inch square and 18 inches tall. Will be very over powered till the upgrade but still useful

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would source a container for sure. You could even use a trash can or something to be honest. You don't HAVE to be fancy. As long as it holds water, you're likely good.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode