3Likes
  • 4 Post By PlantedRich
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Making storage bin tanks last longer

'ello all! I am trying to devise a way to get a storage bin tank to last for years rather than to become dangerously bowed quickly, and have come up with a possible way. The idea is that I could keep the lid permanently attached to the tank, giving a second support that could prevent the tank from bowing and thus could make it hold up longer. Any thoughts on this? For those concerned about how light or air pumps would get into the tank, I was going to remove part of the lid with a melting tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Maybe frame it in wood?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
It's still going to bow with the lid on. I use these storage bin tanks for alot of random things in my fish room and the only way to stop them from boughing is to keep the water level below the "bowing" point. Which for me is usually about halfway. You could frame it in wood or some other rigid material, but is it really worth the effort?

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have done this and it works.

First step is to look for a storage bin with a really good lid. It needs to wrap well around the top of the bin, not just barely overlap, but to go down over the sides by over an inch all around.
The ones I found already had some ridges in the lid, making 2 nice rectangles that I cut out. It has been several years. I am using one as a sump, an it is about half full and holding up very well. I forget what I cut it with.

The other alternative is to use round containers.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
The other alternative is to use round containers.

This is what I do.
I use round or oval containers

Aren't we all just living in a giant fish bowl?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

...do they make clear, round storage containers?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've used 15 gallon? clear storage bins (the 3 pack ones from Costco) for over a year, filled nearly to the rim, some top on, some top off (plants only) and with a HOB hanging on the long side. Yeah they bow a bit, but never had any problems, even after a years time. Although I am sure the thickness and construction of the bin has a lot to do with how well it would hold up. Don't try carrying it (or even sliding/pulling it with one hand) with too much water in it though haha, broke off some handles/rims that way.

I have seen round clear storage containers, but none very deep. They would be more rigid, but would have a hard time trying to mount HOBs if you wanted to use those. Now is the best time to find storage containers (many people use them packing away Christmas decorations). Check Walmart, hardwares stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.), Big Lots, etc.

Heh, for the price of some of them, might as well buy glass tanks (used or on sale).
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I use air-powered filters in all my tanks anyway Not being able to use a HOB would not be a serious problem. Thanks for the heads up, though!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Buddha View Post
Maybe frame it in wood?
Or a couple of large bar clamps across the open top would work well too. Even though they bow, I dont think there is much danger of them failing.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 06:03 AM
Planted Member

I used to use the tougher bathroom trash and from Wally World as convict, ghost shrimp, and guppy breeding tanks. They hold 15-20 gallons and don't bow for a long time. Once they do they're a good trash can. My bedroom trash can was the guppy tank actually.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use a large water storage for reserve water to come up to room temp before use. I've tried a number of different plastic containers but they all seemed to fail too quick. Now I find there are lots of single use food grade barrels which make super water storage tanks. I find they are really thick, durable plastic which works for years and never rust or bow as they are made for industrial use. They are also a pretty good bargain at $10-15 around me. If you have an active Craigslist, do a search for barrels. A single barrel cut in half and you can have two tanks for $10!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Oh yeah, those rain barrels are great (you can even make filters out of them). I recommend trying to find out what was stored in them though as you many never know what has been in them. Some just water reserves, some I have come across were used to store car wash soap, and some with even storing more hazardous to fish heath substances. Give them a good rinsing either way. Probably even sanitize with something just to be extra safe.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A good sniff will sometimes tell you what they had before. I've never gone for reused used ones. I like the ones which have had cookie flavorings. The vanilla smell makes me hungry!! But a good rinse and soak is always a good idea even with new stuff as plastic items often have residual oils from production.
WaterLife and WaterLife like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode