DIY CO2: Basically beer; can you drink it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2: Basically beer; can you drink it?

Just thought I'd get your attention.

Years ago I tried the DIY method for C02 on a planted tank. I never reallly got it to work for some reason, I never got a vigorous enough fermentation going. I'm guessing it was from poor quality dried yeast.

Anyway, I now work at a brewery. I have access to 40 huge (some are 20,000gal) stainless steel cylindroconical fermentors full of beer fermenting at various stages.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to do a DIY CO2 setup using this bounty of CO2 producing material that is on the other side of my office wall?

Here's what I'm thinking: every Monday and Thursday (I don't work Fridays) I bring in my clean 2L bottle and on my way out the door, I fill it up (what, 250ml or so?) with freshly fermenting wort. Take it home, plug it into my aquarium, and VOILA: DIY CO2! When it's done bubbling away a few days later, I rinse it out and replace it with the next bottle that I've just brought home.

Anyone see a problem with this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The coolest fish I've owned: Silver Arowana, Silver and Gold Datnoids, Archer Fish, Anableps, Mudskipper, African Leaf Fish, True Leaf Fish, Moth Catfish, Chaca Chaca, Apistogramma agasizzi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
It should work as long as your employer doesnt mind you taking it. The only issue I think you may have is that it wont produce enough CO2 to be beneficial. There isnt a lot of sugar iin beer wort and that is what the yeast feeds off of which produces the CO2.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Given your employment, I'd talk to a/the brew master about the CO2 gererating capacity of different strains of yeast.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
... that is what the yeast feeds off of which produces the CO2.
Oh, I'm well aware of how that works. Beer and I... have an intimate relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
The only issue I think you may have is that it wont produce enough CO2 to be beneficial. There isnt a lot of sugar iin beer wort...
This might be true. All the DIY recipes I'm seeing ask for 2 cups of sugar and 1.5L of water (roughly), which works out to about 26% sugar on a weight basis. The average beer is around 12 degrees plato (or about 12% sugar on a weight basis). Although, in all the beer fermentations I've seen, there is plenty of C02 bubbling out for a good 4-5 days...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The coolest fish I've owned: Silver Arowana, Silver and Gold Datnoids, Archer Fish, Anableps, Mudskipper, African Leaf Fish, True Leaf Fish, Moth Catfish, Chaca Chaca, Apistogramma agasizzi.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Given your employment, I'd talk to a/the brew master about the CO2 gererating capacity of different strains of yeast.

It's not so much the yeast strain as it is the temperature of the fermentation, the extract (sugar) content of the wort, the levels of free amino nitrogen, and to a certain extent the initial oxygen level of the wort (helps yeast multiply).

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Shouldn't be a problem. If too little sugar, I'm sure you can just add some more (if it works with regular DIY CO2, should work here).

Now if you boss doesn't mind, that'd be sweet. Constant supply of free CO2.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burks View Post
Constant supply of free CO2.
I'd be more excited about the constant supply of beer!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
Here's what I'm thinking: every Monday and Thursday (I don't work Fridays) I bring in my clean 2L bottle and on my way out the door, I fill it up (what, 250ml or so?) with freshly fermenting wort. Take it home, plug it into my aquarium, and VOILA: DIY CO2! When it's done bubbling away a few days later, I rinse it out and replace it with the next bottle that I've just brought home.

Anyone see a problem with this?
Yes; it's a waste of perfectly good beer. If you wanted to plumb the outgassing co2 for a tank at work, that seems great (capturing a wasted resource). Otherwise, just get a proper injected system.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Yes; it's a waste of perfectly good beer.
If tossing a liter of spoiled beer troubles you, you'd have a hard time working at a brewery. Perfectly good beer goes down the drain all day long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
If you wanted to plumb the outgassing co2 for a tank at work, that seems great (capturing a wasted resource). Otherwise, just get a proper injected system.

Yeah, I'm working on that. Slowly. Trying to minimize the expenditure by assembling it piecemeal and hunting for deals.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover
The Lord bless Charlie Mops, the man who invented beer, beer, beer, beer....

There's no basement in the alamo.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode