Looking for a did solution to mounting mangroves - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
A lot of my pods are taking off violently and the roots are exploding I'm looking for a low profile way to keep them at the surface without worrying about the roots distorting the enclosure I had a medium mangrove plant split a sump seem with its roots so that is why I'm worried.

Currently they're in their second tetra whisper filter, one mangrove ruined the last motor. This is my favorite way to grow them out they feel stable yet they have high flow rates on their roots so more oxygen and less mulm build up. They aren't very old and will take photos when I get home but I'm welcoming any and all ideas, I thought about doing something with acrylic or black pvc to match the back.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

How do you change the title? Phone autocorrect is ridiculous, after a million times changing did back to diy you'd think it would save it....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-14-2015 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpNewbie View Post
How do you change the title? Phone autocorrect is ridiculous, after a million times changing did back to diy you'd think it would save it....

Go to edit post and then select the advanced button.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I guess I'll have to go to the actual website haha.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001AX...=ATVPDKIKX0DER maybe something like this? Has anyone tried to use these as planters?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-14-2015 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001AX...=ATVPDKIKX0DER maybe something like this? Has anyone tried to use these as planters?

Tech world is not treating you friendly!! I don't go anywhere with the link?
Tried to look at it to see what you are doing but I got NOWHERE>
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Tech world is not treating you friendly!! I don't go anywhere with the link?
Tried to look at it to see what you are doing but I got NOWHERE>
That's odd, I clicked the link and it took me right to it, try the link in your quote

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Okay-- it works. I got a different post this time. I see it was edited just a bit after my post. Maybe electronic wonders?/
Anyway , back to your question?
you are wanting to find a way to hang them so they are off the bottom and don't spilt the HOB? Any value in looking at eggcrate (light diffuser) panels? A totally different use but I found them handy for making a form to let weeds grow on for a divider at one point. Just a thought and keeping the question out there so maybe somebody will have a better idea!!!!
Somewhat cheap and it is easy to cut and then I use plastic wire ties to build things.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 07-09-2018 at 02:50 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm thinking it will need to hold substrate and not distract much from the tank. Even if it is acrylic I'd paint it black with plastidip. Is pvc sheet fairly cheap?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm thinking it will need to hold substrate and not distract much from the tank. Even if it is acrylic I'd paint it black with plastidip. Is pvc sheet fairly cheap?

No good info here as I've never bought in that thickness. Are you familiar with the plastic mesh sold at hobby places for weaving? It comes in thin sheets with different size holes I find easy to form up boxes and things. Cheap easy to cut and "sew" back together in the shapes I use. I use monofilament fishing line to sew.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hm that seems like a good option, wonder if the soil good become septic though without much flow, I'm sure the roots would bust through but that might look kind of cool, I'll go see how much that stuff will cost.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It is cheap. Some price under $2a sheet so that I don't remember what?
Part of what I like is that I can use most anything to cut the openings to fit what I want. Not a quick thing but clipping out the little dividers can let you make the size you want. Flexible so that you can bend a circle but still stiff enough to make a box if you add some stiffeners.
This was my temporary holding cell to hang in a ten when I ran out of places to keep fry separated from other types.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
It is cheap. Some price under $2a sheet so that I don't remember what?
Part of what I like is that I can use most anything to cut the openings to fit what I want. Not a quick thing but clipping out the little dividers can let you make the size you want. Flexible so that you can bend a circle but still stiff enough to make a box if you add some stiffeners.
This was my temporary holding cell to hang in a ten when I ran out of places to keep fry separated from other types.
Awesome thank you very much should be a good choice, I can paint it or secure moss to it, I'm going to make it 8lx2wx6h, really thin but don't need much space for the mangroves

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Growing a little swamp? Sounds fun.
If you get around to a picture, it sounds interesting!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'll make the box and paint it tonight, it's to hold 4 or 5 mangroves I like having a riparium canopy, I want to use wandering jew and some others but I run 7ppt salinity so most plants are out, java moss tends to grow well especially if it isn't fully submerged. Going to have to build hooks for the planter as well since it will be a little heavy

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Growing a little swamp? Sounds fun.
If you get around to a picture, it sounds interesting!
Seems I don't have to paint them at all they had it in black, definitely need to stiffen it up might go to HD and get some acrylic, I need to redo my plumbing anyway

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'll make the box and paint it tonight, it's to hold 4 or 5 mangroves I like having a riparium canopy, I want to use wandering jew and some others but I run 7ppt salinity so most plants are out, java moss tends to grow well especially if it isn't fully submerged. Going to have to build hooks for the planter as well since it will be a little heavy

Certain to need beefier oks than the wires I used for fry!

Sometimes we just need to let the ideas cook for a while before we try them. Good luck.
I found the wood works pretty well and lasted well enough. It is called "screen bead" and is what was used on old screen doors. Easy to cut and pretty cheap.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 12-14-2015 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode