A brewers thoughts on diy co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
drx
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A brewers thoughts on diy co2

i know any yeast is the general idea of these. but i don't under stand why people don't take lessons from brewers. Use a yeast that can handle higher abv .turbo yeast has the highest at 20% thats a lot of sugar eating potential. about 10 Oz of white sugar to a 2 litter then combine that with yeast washing so you almost never need to by yeast. Since white sugar is hard for yeast to eat i would also add some yeast nutrients in. On the other side you could use a better tasting sugar source like apple juice and brew your self some cider while giving your tank co2. Again seems a lot more efficient then the guides I've read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Well try it and see.

The biggest challenge with diy is consistency - maintaining a steady rate from one day to the next is very important. It's not so much about how long a mixture will last, it's how long can you get it to run at a consistent rate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
drx
Algae Grower

i just might i have a 10g thats empty and been getting an itch to fill it.(dang mts ) any yeast will have a ramp up( as they reproduce) and a ramp down(as the majority of sugar is eaten) using more sugar results in a longer duration but might also end yup with a greater volume of co2 being produced in the middle as theres more room for them to grow.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 06:48 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Ramp up/downs are why it's best to use multiple bottles with staggered start/change times. For example 2 reactor bottles changing out one per week.

Ideally you want the same bubble rate all the time. What you DO NOT want is 2 bps for a few days, then 3, then 4...then back down to 2 again for a week, etc. It will be an algae nightmare, specifically bba.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 07:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Another issue I can think of using brewers yeast, or turbo yeast, is that they produce an inordinate amount of krausen due to their speedy/greedy sugar munching.
If you do not have the head space you are going have a nasty blow out if you don't use a secondary vessel to catch it. It is also means that you are going to have very inconsistent CO2 delivery over the course of 5 days as burr740 mentions.
Bread yeast is good in that it is slow and pretty consistent over time and you can get a pretty decent ABV with it. I've done several meads (JAOM) with bread yeast which is about 10-12%.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Algae Grower

Brewers yeast is also a lot more expensive than a jar of yeast from walmart.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
check out this thread... has a good system worked out for DIY wine/CO2 with the rotation method... If I recall correctly they use 5 bottles and add/remove one every 3rd day or something like that to always have a constant supply of CO2 based on the ramp up/ramp down timing...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...byproduct.html

--Rob--

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode