2Likes
  • 2 Post By burr740
  • 2 Post By Econde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Fleischmann's Bread Machine Yeast DIY c02

Has anyone ever used this for their DIY c02 reactor? I was attempting one and didn't realize that i needed active yeast. Or can i get away with the bread machine yeast? I'm lost. I used one of them 1 Gallon fruit punch containers and a small sprite bottle as a bubble counter. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Any yeast is fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think I'm doing it properly. It was bubbling for a few minutes then quit. I'll have to play around some more. Thank you for the reply btw.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Bread machine yeast is fine.

I used to always "proof" the yeast, even the active kind.

Fill a small bowl with warm water, not over 105 degrees, add the yeast and a tsp of sugar. In a few minutes it should start foaming.

This way you always know that you have a good batch of yeast.
Windup and Windup like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Bread machine yeast is fine.

I used to always "proof" the yeast, even the active kind.

Fill a small bowl with warm water, not over 105 degrees, add the yeast and a tsp of sugar. In a few minutes it should start foaming.

This way you always know that you have a good batch of yeast.
Alright, I will give that a go later tonight. Will it continue to react even if the room temp is like 70 degrees? Just as long as the yeast is activated? I used a 1 gallon Hawaiian punch bottle with 2 cups sugar, 1tsp baking soda and 1/4tsp yeast. But i didn't "activate" the yeast. Would you recommend i start it over or could i add the "activated" yeast into that?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Planted Tanker

I would start it over, because otherwise you wont have an accurate reference point as to what to start with next time. The key is to have a consistent and steady rate from one day to the next.

70 degrees is fine. It'll produce more at higher temps, but will also run out sooner. Other than the initial proofing process, best to just go with whatever the room temp happens to be. You can of course use warmer water to mix the recipe, it'll help the reaction get going faster.

Also you may want to try 1/2 tsp yeast. Not sure if 1/4 is enough for a gallon of water. I used to do 1/2 tsb with 2 liters, which would run pretty steady for about two weeks. You may get a longer duration with one gallon of water, because alcohol levels will take longer to reach toxic levels.

A lot of it is going to be trial and error on your part, to see what works best relative to how much CO2 is produced, and for how long. Just remember the goal is to maintain a steady rate of production from one day to the next. Dont let the bottle wind down for a week or two. As soon as you see it slow down - at all - then it's time to make a new batch.

Last edited by burr740; 12-08-2015 at 08:43 PM. Reason: .
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool thanks. I'll redo the batch and try 2cups of sugar, 1tsp of baking soda and 1/2tsp of yeast like you mentioned. I have another identical gallon jug that i can use in tandem. But first things first, I'll make sure everything is reacting like its supposed to before i start stepping up to 2 gallons.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright so i redid it last night, activated the yeast in a separate bowl with a sprinkle of sugar and saw the bubbling. Poured in warm water sugar and baking soda into the gallon juice container and shook vigorously til everything was mixed thoroughly. I waited like 10 minutes before pouring the yeast into the gallon jug. It was working! Saw a constant stream of c02 bubbles...then a few...then one....then none over a short period of time, like 2 minutes. The gallon jug is filled up about 60% of the way. If I add another container, will the pressure be more consistent? I'm assuming my long airline from the floor to the intake filter (about 3.5 feet) is causing a loss in pressure. Also, if i shake the bottle a little bit while it is attached, the c02 bubbles take off.

So I guess my questions are:

Should the bubbling be more consistent? Like a bubble or 2 per second.

Would filling up the remainder of the gallon jug with warm water til its about a few inches from the top help?

Is my tubing too long and causing lack of pressure? And if so, would another bottle help alleviate the pressure problem?

Thanks in advance.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 05:22 PM
Planted Tanker

The bubbles should not stop once they start. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Possibly it doesnt leak until a certain pressure is reached, which might explain why it worked for a few minutes to begin with.

You can check for leaks using with either soapy water, or the bubble solution made for kids to play with. (I prefer the latter) Apply some to every single connections, if there is a leak you will see bubbles.

Also there's a link in my sig that shows a really good way to make the connections/seals.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
The bubbles should not stop once they start. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Possibly it doesnt leak until a certain pressure is reached, which might explain why it worked for a few minutes to begin with.

You can check for leaks using with either soapy water, or the bubble solution made for kids to play with. (I prefer the latter) Apply some to every single connections, if there is a leak you will see bubbles.

Also there's a link in my sig that shows a really good way to make the connections/seals.

HAHA! I didn't realize that was your post. Your'e the one who inspired me to try it out. I'm doing the same method with the fittings, ill double check everything for sure. and if worse comes to worse, ill seal everything up with some silicon.
burr740 and burr740 like this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for your posts and help, it's working pretty well. Getting about 3 bubbles/s and dropped about .6 on my PH.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 03:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi,

A little shameless self promotion here. Well ... not really.

This is an article I originally wrote back in 2001 (updated 2014) which includes about everything you would ever want to know (and probably more than you want to know) on yeasts and DIY Co2 generation.

DIY CO2 System for Planted Aquarium

Most commercially available yeast brands are discussed along with some esoteric yeast strains. Fleischmans is the most common for DIY Co2, but requires a little special handling.

The article also covers issues like what REALLY kills yeast (not the myths and conjecture), what the best food is for yeast and other information. It also contains the scientific research and references to support these facts. If you study the article it can be useful for maximizing Co2 production and longevity, as well as give choices for yeast brands based on availability and need.

BTW, The biggest thing that kills yeast ... alcohol. So mixtures do not last long for that reason. Hey ... if you were living in your own pee, you'd die too!

- John LeVasseur

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode