Great video; making your own food - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great video; making your own food

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5KkjagqH_5A

I was searching around looking at recipes for diy fish food and stumbled upon Marc Weiss. This is a great video that sheds light on plant/vegetable matter and processed fish foods. I like that this guy obviously cares about his fish in the same way one would care about their own health and he takes a scientific approach to creating the foods he feeds his fish. It's a longer video but worth the watch.

If the link doesn't work just you tube Marc Weiss and it will be one of the first couple vids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post

I was searching around looking at recipes for diy fish food and stumbled upon Marc Weiss. This is a great video that sheds light on plant/vegetable matter and processed fish foods. I like that this guy obviously cares about his fish in the same way one would care about their own health and he takes a scientific approach to creating the foods he feeds his fish. It's a longer video but worth the watch.

If the link doesn't work just you tube Marc Weiss and it will be one of the first couple vids.
I use diy fish food also.....my fish LOVE my recipe!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbuster23 View Post
Quote:

I use diy fish food also.....my fish LOVE my recipe!!
What's your recipe?

I was thinking of going with:

Salmon, clams, squid and wheat gluten.

But I am still researching

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
What's your recipe?

I was thinking of going with:

Salmon, clams, squid and wheat gluten.

But I am still researching
This recipe covers any nutrient, vitamin, or mineral that a fish would need....with color enhancing ingredients as well. All of my fish love this stuff!

12 oz Tilapia
12 oz raw shrimp (peeled)
1 pkg frozen spinach (thawed)
1 pkg baby food - green peas
V8 juice (original) - for vitamins/minerals & to help liquify in blender
1 yellow bell pepper - remove seeds & guts
1 banana
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp spirulina
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp astaxanthin
Knox unflavored gelatin

Liquify everything in a food processor. I then brought the meaty products to a slow boil. Mixed everything together, added the gelatin, and poured it into pans to "set" in the fridge. After the gelatin sets, place a cutting board over your pan and flip the food out of the pan. Cut to size, bag, & freeze.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks good. The thing I was trying to avoid was the gelatin. I know a lot of recipes use it as the binder. My intention was to make it as "whole foods" as possible. I know wheat gluten flour is still processed, but it is 80% protein. The gentleman in the video was explaining that actual vegetable and fruit matter was simply a vessel for vitamins. He uses a powdered vitamin mix and then a few different types of yeasts for probiotics.

It's cool how you can have so many variations that work just like cooking dinner
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thanks for linking that vid!

Definitely great information and the guy clearly knows a ton on how the food actually works.
Very interesting that he says Spirulina is the "least nutritious algae" (I believe he was just comparing it to the other top 2 algae). I've always heard Spirulina is like a miracle food with all it's health enhancing properties, but I've never done any research on the other algaes he's mentioned.
And great info on the carbs/sugars being worse for fish with bacterial infections.

VERY great info, he even mentions using too much of said ingredients. He warns of using too much Astaxanthin which is very true. Same can be said with Spirulina (although not as harmful, but like commonly said, too much of anything, can be a bad thing). And you definitely want a balanced diet, not too high in protein, not too high in fat, a well balanced diet is best for the longevity of the fish.

I just skimmed over the video, will have to watch it in full when I am more awake haha. Need to search for more of Mark's work as well, definitely can learn a ton on nutrition from him.

Thanks again for mentioning this. Ivan himself also has great info and videos out there.

But how's homemade/DIY fish food going?
Does it turn out cost effective? I do have a ton of fish to feed and strive for high quality fish food, so it probably would be cost effective for the amount of feed I use.

Big props to you all who make your own food, especially if you research all the nutrition aspects. I've always wanted to make my own as well, but just thought it was more work than I wanted to do (individually mixing each ingredients), have to spend more initially on all the individual ingredients, learning a ton on nutrition to make a healthy, well balanced diet and get the ratios all correct. So I've just stuck with using NLS pellets, NLS gel food, Repashy gel foods, Paradigm fish food for convenience and they do have extra stuff in them, albeit in small portions, and on the downside some do contain some unwanted things.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 11:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Looks good. The thing I was trying to avoid was the gelatin. I know a lot of recipes use it as the binder. My intention was to make it as "whole foods" as possible. I know wheat gluten flour is still processed, but it is 80% protein. The gentleman in the video was explaining that actual vegetable and fruit matter was simply a vessel for vitamins. He uses a powdered vitamin mix and then a few different types of yeasts for probiotics.

It's cool how you can have so many variations that work just like cooking dinner
Yep.....pretty much like making dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post

Definitely great information and the guy clearly knows a ton on how the food actually works.
Very interesting that he says Spirulina is the "least nutritious algae" (I believe he was just comparing it to the other top 2 algae). I've always heard Spirulina is like a miracle food with all it's health enhancing properties, but I've never done any research on the other algaes he's mentioned.
And great info on the carbs/sugars being worse for fish with bacterial infections.

VERY great info, he even mentions using too much of said ingredients. He warns of using too much Astaxanthin which is very true. Same can be said with Spirulina (although not as harmful, but like commonly said, too much of anything, can be a bad thing). And you definitely want a balanced diet, not too high in protein, not too high in fat, a well balanced diet is best for the longevity of the fish.

I just skimmed over the video, will have to watch it in full when I am more awake haha. Need to search for more of Mark's work as well, definitely can learn a ton on nutrition from him.

Thanks again for mentioning this. Ivan himself also has great info and videos out there.

Does it turn out cost effective? I do have a ton of fish to feed and strive for high quality fish food, so it probably would be cost effective for the amount of feed I use.

Big props to you all who make your own food, especially if you research all the nutrition aspects. I've always wanted to make my own as well, but just thought it was more work than I wanted to do (individually mixing each ingredients), have to spend more initially on all the individual ingredients, learning a ton on nutrition to make a healthy, well balanced diet and get the ratios all correct. So I've just stuck with using NLS pellets, NLS gel food, Repashy gel foods, Paradigm fish food for convenience and they do have extra stuff in them, albeit in small portions, and on the downside some do contain some unwanted things.
The diy is going great so far. My first batch took about 30-45 mins to get everything prepared and into the fridge to set. I think it's bc it was my first attempt. I also bagged it wrong, so I had a lot of waste in each bag.....trying to learn how much was enough for my fish at a feeding. I'll be making my second batch in about 2 weeks. It will be way more cost effective this time around....I'll spend about $10 for 6 months + worth of food. I found this Mini Cube Ice Cube Trays (Set of 2) - BedBathandBeyond.com to pour my food in to set. This is the perfect size for my fish at one feeding.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post

Regarding the spirulina, what he was saying is that what people buy is not very good because of how it is handled and cultured. He was saying lab grade is amazing but way too expensive for most people and especially breeders. When you watch it again check out what he says about gelatin. From what I gathered he avoids things that don't have nutritional value which is why he uses wheat gluten and a few other things.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
this is my recipe

i use..
scallops
talapia
squid
spinach
red and yellow bell peppers
minced garlic
paprika
baby food ,carrots, peas,apples, squash
a hand full of herbivor algea wafers
knoxvill flavorless gelatin

i believe thats it oh yeah i have some ich meds in a small batch of the same stuff (medicated food)

everything in my tank eats it
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearer View Post
this is my recipe

i use..
scallops
talapia
squid
spinach
red and yellow bell peppers
minced garlic
paprika
baby food ,carrots, peas,apples, squash
a hand full of herbivor algea wafers
knoxvill flavorless gelatin

i believe thats it oh yeah i have some ich meds in a small batch of the same stuff (medicated food)

everything in my tank eats it
Looks good

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode