1Likes
  • 2 Post By Raymond S.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Silicate Removal - Parts list needed

Hi Guys,

I am going to build a silicate inline filter. Can you guys help me a come up with a parts list where I can build this device into a Python water change system? (barb sizes, quick disconnects, etc.).

Thanks for helping me to brainstorm this!

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:02 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Is silicate a problem and how would you go about it except run it through a Reverse Osmosis?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
IMO...
The hype about silicates being the cause or a contributing factor of Diatom(brown) algae
is not very credible when you consider that about 30-40% of the thousands of tanks on this forum have sand as a substrate and don't have brown algae in them.
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A large percentage of local tap waters have some silicate in them. So, not only do many people have silica sand substrates and no brown algae problems, also many people have silicates in the tap water they use, and also have no brown algae problems. I think it is pretty common to have some brown algae with newly set up tanks, but that algae seems to always go away after a few months.

Hoppy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm up for the brain storm for most any reason!!!
But then I'm also not up on how to remove silicates. I am pretty well up on DIY and small plumbing but not on where and how. Before we talk you out of it, what do you have in mind?
It's not like there is any shortage of wasted digits on forums , so tell us what's the thinking so far?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I'm up for the brain storm for most any reason!!!
But then I'm also not up on how to remove silicates. I am pretty well up on DIY and small plumbing but not on where and how. Before we talk you out of it, what do you have in mind?
It's not like there is any shortage of wasted digits on forums , so tell us what's the thinking so far?
Simple, just a housing filter that contains a a DI resin cartridge for silicate removal. To be used during the fill-up phase of a water change. IOTWs, I want to be able to plumb the silicate section into the python when it's time to add water.

This brown algae thing is never going to resolve itself until I abate the silicate source (my tap water) to some degree.

Thanks for the help!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Okay, got some ideas. Want to add this at times but remove at other times?
I was in need of some way to extend tubing as I have tanks near my reserve water as well as in other rooms. Maybe a use that could work for you? For a reliable system to take my fill tubing apart, I used CPVC pipe fittings. Plastic pipe, something like PVC. A union fitting can be screwed together by hand and is easy to unscrew when not needed.

This is a quick "top of the head" thought and can likely be improved if it sounds like the right track.

My setup lays out like this:

Tubing adapter to threaded fitting glued to small piece of pipe, glued to one portion of the union. The ring to tighten and the faucet washer for the seal. This then mates up with the second portion of the union.

Using unions if needed but go simple with a threaded cap if the entire tube end can be rotated enough to unscrew at a fitting?
Getting any where close to something that might work?

Brainstorms are funny things--- they can take time and they also explode at times! But most of them are very cheap to replace..

Last edited by PlantedRich; 04-03-2018 at 09:03 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would not attempt to run this through the python. a) More chance of leaks, b) low dwell time.

Here is how I would do this:
1) Fill a garbage can with the new water the night before a water change (or longer).
2) Run a filter on this garbage can for however long it takes to treat the water. If you have several treatments in mind you could set up a canister filter with different media in each basket. If it is just the one resin, then a small filter, any HOB would work. You can add an aquarium heater to this to keep the water warm.
3) Use a fountain pump to fill the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode