large tank diy led ideas. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
large tank diy led ideas.

I am now in the design/dream phase of a new large tank build. I'm looking at purchasing a 140x72x48 inch, LxWxH, from a local company. I am planning on a med to high light planted tank with co2 with a south American theme. I am planning on using 5 250 watt mh bulbs in lumenmax mini reflectors down the center of the tank that I will probably keep on for 6 hours or less a day to add full spectrum punch. I am working on ideas for 2 5 foot led fixtures down the outside edges angled somewhat inward to avoid light spill on the glass. if I diy this project I am fairly sure I will be using bridgelux arrays as the main light source. I am deciding between using a vero18 at 5k 90 cri and a vero décor 10 2.7k at 97 cri, or using one vero29 at 5k 90 cri. I plan on placing them around 12 inches apart. I was also thinking of placing either a couple 3ups or a cluster of colored leds around the veros so I can adjust the look of the light. I thinking of using a hyperviolet, royal blue, deep red, lime, and far red. I think I will be building a couple of 6 inch mock ups to try the various options and see that looks good over a tank. I am planning on running all the separate colors on different dimmers at 700mA so I can tune it. I don't know what is the most effective way to power that many large veros and would love some suggestions. any comments, criticisms, and or ideas are very welcome. thanks, steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ugh...yeah.. you're gonna need some serious DC power. You can't go wrong with the Vero's the 90CRI 5000K and 97CRI 2700K. They're what I'm using over my 225. They'll produce a very Natural looking light when used together. The Vero's typically run around 30V at 1400ma, so it's safe to assume you could drive them using a Meanwell LDD-1500L and a 36V supply. Start shopping on Fleabay now and look for a "gently used" TDK/Lambda 36V Power supply. I bought a 48V/21amp model for about $100. Chances are good that you can find something similar.

Just found one... 36V/29amps. Do a search using these terms- NEW TDK-LAMBDA HWS1000L-36/BAT 1000W 28-36V 29A 100-240VAC MEDICAL POWER SUPPLY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.

Last edited by O2surplus; 11-28-2015 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Found some good stuff... needed to post
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was hoping you would see this thread. ive read your thread about using the 2 smaller verso for sole lighting on your tank. do you think I could get away with using the vero29 at 5k 90 cri if I supplemented the reds, and added rb and violet for pop, and lime to add visual brightness? I have already ordered one of each of the verso and a few of the tristars and solo colors so I can mock it up and see what it does. any ideas on how to power up the vero29? could I put 2 ldd 1000 or 1500 in parallel? do you think my best bet is to individually drive all the veros or is there some monster driver that would power 5 or 10 in a strand? I have time to think. I wont be able to get the tank down into my basement until things thaw out in the spring. just laying some groundwork here.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 07:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanderson View Post
do you think my best bet is to individually drive all the veros or is there some monster driver that would power 5 or 10 in a strand? I have time to think. I wont be able to get the tank down into my basement until things thaw out in the spring. just laying some groundwork here.
all you need to do is find a DC power supply w/ 38 X # of Veros you want to line up .. and a 2100mA current regulator that can take 38 x # Vero volts..

In other words not likely..

Some of the cheap Chinese drivers could do 2 in series but at a greatly reduced output of like 500mA

As to real ps.. you could start here.. but I really don't want to know the cost..
Laboratory Power Supplies : 0-150VDC and 0-300VDC
BTW HV DC is quite dangerous.. moreso than AC..
not to mention the need for some huge wire and some serious AC feed voltage..

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be around that fish tank..

On the plus side you may not need a separate driver.....

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Any value in using a cheap stock white fixture for the bulk of the light over a large area and then adding the colors of your choice?
That would seem to be a way to get the large power supply needs cut down to a more manageable size. Extreme large heat sinks and related issues might be cut down also?
I'm thinking something like this is going to be in the "big bucks" area at best so perhaps a bit of out of the box engineering will cut that down?

Possible using several of these might get the rest cut down to better size?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ng-budget.html

I've found getting a Sam's Club membership can pay for itself when I buy a set of tires so it might in this case also. Just an idea to check.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

my objection to cheap white off the shelf leds is that they use crappy emitters. I will be using 5 250 watt metal halides for this purpose though. I mentioned my problem to an engineer friend of mine today, although not an electrical engineer, and he said that buddying up 2 1000mA meanwells should work to power it at 2mA. I am planning on trying that unless I hear differently when my emitters arrive in a week or so. it is possible that if I use 20 vero 29s and a cluster of 5 or 6 colored emitters around them that I may have all the light I need to run it at medium light and that I just use the halides for a midday boost. thanks for the warning about high power d/c. I have a healthy respect for current and no death wish.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote: my objection to cheap white off the shelf leds is that they use crappy emitters

Your choice of course but if the lifetime is the main concern, the five year warranty is plenty to fit my comfort zone. Not many hobby LED fixtures come with that.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
buddying up 2 1000mA meanwells should work to power it
LDD Driving more then 1000mA - LEDGroupBuy.com - Nano-Reef.com Forums

apparently this is how it can be done.. surprised me..

Ask your EE about dimming...............It may not be too easy...

That said if you go 1500mA high V LED drivers are a dime a dozen..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-29-2015 at 11:27 PM. Reason: edit
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
SAGER Electronics has got 19 LDD-1500L in stock for $5.69 each LDD-1500L Mean Well | Sager

Pair them with a single Vero 18,a 36V power supply and you're off to the races.

IIRC the LDD-1500L shares the same pin out as it's LDD-H brother, so finding a nice mounting PcB for the drivers won't be an issue.

225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ dual Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Makers 72" heat sink w/ 12 NanoBox V3 led arrays, custom built CC drivers. All controlled by a BlueFish "mini" Led Controller.
, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:56 PM
Banned

Just for fun.. Replace the MH's...

Orphek Atlantic 300 is one beast of an LED pendant

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the driver issue is making me much more likely to do this using a vero 18/10 pair driven with ldds. just took a look at those fixtures in the link you put up. if nothing else I will probably use them in my large viv when it is time to replace the t5s.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 05:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanderson View Post
the driver issue is making me much more likely to do this using a vero 18/10 pair driven with ldds. just took a look at those fixtures in the link you put up. if nothing else I will probably use them in my large viv when it is time to replace the t5s.
check out some cutting edge (in terms of spectrum, the 110lm/watt is still lower than the 131L/W of a Vero but CRI is great and all holes filled, except for violet in the blue based COB's) broad spectrum chips.

Unfortunately no violet based except in small emitters..and currently some spec sheets for the larger chips are missing but this is a good example.
http://www.yujiintl.com/files/high-c...C135L-YUJI.pdf
http://www.yujiintl.com/about

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

wow those yuji look good. may have a get a couple in to play with.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode