CO2 mesh bell...Eureka!!!! A perfect simple solution? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Talking CO2 mesh bell...Eureka!!!! A perfect simple solution?

This orignal posting has been changed to reflect its metamorphism into a new experimet. Near the bottom you will see my design for a new style of DIY co2 diffusor. I am in testing stages.. and you are invited to come allong and test with others. You can read below and see what we need to find out. etc Post your findings below. This is a 3 month experiment (if the device works well that long it should be a good alternative, anything that doesnt need servicing for 3 months or MORE, and works the way it should, is a great design!)

Help control the pet population...spay or neuter people won't spay or neuter their dogs or cats!

Last edited by fedge; 08-28-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I have a Hagen ladder in my 10 gallon tank and it works just fine. I admit it would be nicer if it were just a bit shorter but it does fit.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 04:07 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You wouldn't get enuf pressure to push thru an airstone, it'd just bubble out from the bottom.

Rex is right...the hagen ladder is the bomb-diggity.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=9&N=2004+2021
$9.99 for the ladder/diffuser.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

9.99 but you have to include the shipping.. I have ordered all my fish stuff for now (im tapped out for the time being--about for the 4 next months)... The airstone system I tried would work!!!.. I just need to be able to weigh it down .. air pushes a lot under water...

Ok.. I need more links.. not critisizm(sp)... The idea is I AM going to DIY this project.. I like the ladder(i own one)..but it just is too big ugly for a 10 to me.. a small bell or other things will h ide better.

Please no more ladder suggestions...

Help control the pet population...spay or neuter people won't spay or neuter their dogs or cats!
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Here's what I used to do to get really small bubbles into my HOB filter so it wouldn't make that aweful burping noise all the time...cram a 1 inch piece of chopstick into the airline...give it some time and you'll have zillions of tiny little bubbles coming out. Another option that worked for me was using UNSMOKED cigarette filter butts. The fine fiberglass is good for diffusing the bubbles too. Unwrap the paper from the butt and twist the butt into the airline. Then give the pressure some time to build and again, zillions of tiny bubbles. The only problem with both of the methods is over time (a couple weeks) you'll have that milky white buildup (like using an airstone for diffusion...you all know what I'm talking about).

Re-boot!
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
A bell, you say... hmmm, how about running your CO2 to one of these http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=526 I though about something like this just to give my kids a charge.

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yah I was looking at them.. they hold a good size bubble of the Co2 for awhile... but I didnt find one that would suit the tank.

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 07:42 AM

Find a small fiberglass coffee filter - the ones that are cup-shaped and made of a very find mesh. Tip it upside down and let CO2 collect under there. It won't bubble out unless the whole chamber is filled to brimming but CO2 will diffuse across it. I've yet to set mine up in my tank as I've been busy with reef stuff.
I did have good luck using a plastic tube (I used most of a gravel vac) with a big chunk of foam stuffed into the top. Again, the CO2 built up inside the foam and the CO2 diffused into the water without bubbling up, albeit there was the odd "fart" when too much buildup occurred.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

those sound pretty good... I would have to make sure it was stainless steel filter though... (most are I think)...keep em coming...

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 01:33 AM

I'm fairly sure my filter is made up of fiberglass or some kind of hard plastic. If not, it must be aluminum. Is that bad?
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 09:44 AM

Hey fedge, you guys have 7/11's over there in Iowa? I been there once on a road trip and don't recall seeing one. If you do, the 7/11 has these split compartment Slurpy cups you may be able to use as a bell. Cut it at the split and you'll end up with a half circle cup with a flat side. If you look at it from the top it will look like a " D ". Trim it to whatever height you need, silicone a pair of suction cups to it, and it will probably tuck in nice and neat in the rear of your tank. The cup is a hard translucent plastic so it shouldn't be too distracting, but you may need to use a drill if you need holes in the cup.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Why are you going through all this trouble? Just stick it in the intake of your AC filter, they work great. Thats how I get my CO2 dissolved. You said you don't want alot of CO2 because you have low light? Well if its low maybe you won't need CO2. And beside that fact, your not going to OD with an AC filter. To control the amount you adjust recipe.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Talking

well to answer back to Rolo....

I got a 5 gallon tank that really greens out better with co2..even though it aint much (about 3b/min)... it did help out with growth rates. This tank is a 10 gallon with about 20 watts of pc light.. it really needs the co2...I get good growth from everything (even the ludwigia repens is REDISH--a sign that the light is high enough).

HOWEVER>..... Today I hit the Eureka!!!!

Spinning off the idea from Rikko... I took some of my fiberglass epoxy coated screen material(i use it for filter bags)...and doubled it up (three layers may be better..just make sure that they are offset 45deg from each-other) and rubber banded it to the bottom of a spice container I had lying around. I cut the bottom off and weighed it down with plant weights (temp.). I then took the hose out of the crappy pop bottle difuser I got in the 29gallon and hooked it up to this little thing...(hard to do underwater). It dumped a large bubble of co2 under the mesh.. and about all the hosing under the water then backfilled (you know when the pressure is not enough to push the water out of th hose...if that makes sense). This bubble disolved in about 3 mins... or less. Then more bubbles came. It did burp once or twice.. but I am thinking that is becuase the unit is not level.. if the screen was level and about 3 in diameter instead of 1.5 it would do better. After watching the thing do ITS thing for about 30 minutes, I decided that this may be the way to go. I have no idea though if the acidity of the co2/h20 mix is going to eat up the epoxy.. or what have you. This is something that only time will tell. I would imagine that over time this device may get ineffecient..but having a larger surface area will allow you to NOT have to survice it a lot over time (maybe once every 6 months--allways cool not to service something ALL the time). Thanks for all the suggestions... I think I found my new toy....

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The epoxy resin should be inert, but you've just given me an idea of my own, thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
courtesy pics please?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode