Water detection cable - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water detection cable

Anyone familiar with water detection cables? I am talking about cables like this
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...189322139.html
or the cable on that detector (I only want the cable, not the device itself, and this one is way too short)
Honeywell WaterDefense Water Leak Detection Alarm-RWD41 - The Home Depot

There are quite a few choices with prices that vary widely, and I have no idea how reliable they are... Anyone has thoughts to share?

I have an automated water change system, and I want to add a water detection cable connected to a controler that will shut up the whole system if there is water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:59 AM
Planted Member

I know this doesn't answer the question, but on evil at there is a water detection circuit that alarms your cell phone if it detects water. I have been looking into that and a few smart outlets so I can shut each piece down remotely.

One qualm though is if there is already a siphon and you are not there to manually break the siphon shutting off the pump does zero good. Siphon breaks drilled high enough would help but not eliminate water damage.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Planted Member

One other thing Home Depot has a pack of disposable water alarms for under 20 bucks. They are made by Honeywell and might give you insight as to how well the alarms you're looking at will work for you.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I already have a honeywell water detector. I tested it and it seems to work very well. I could take it's cable and connect it to my controler instead, but the cable is not long enough. So I am looking for another longer water detection cable, and there are choices that I don't know how to evaluate. There is one for 2,50$/m, is it as reliable as the one that sells for 10$/m? So if anyone has some experience with these cables, I would like to hear about it.

Quote:
I know this doesn't answer the question, but on evil at there is a water detection circuit that alarms your cell phone if it detects water. I have been looking into that and a few smart outlets so I can shut each piece down remotely.

One qualm though is if there is already a siphon and you are not there to manually break the siphon shutting off the pump does zero good. Siphon breaks drilled high enough would help but not eliminate water damage.
I am not sure what you mean, or if it relates with the way my system works. I don't have a sump or anything, there is no syphon that can happen. Basically, I have an overflow which is connected directly to the house's drain. And a hose connected to the house's water plumbing which brings new water to the aquarium (after running through carbon filter), controled by a valve which is activated by a timer. So when the timer goes on, new water comes in, which makes excess water in the overflow go into the drain.

The problem I got some weeks ago, which I want to prevent in the future, is that a hose broke and water spilled all over the floor when water change happened. So I want to add a water detector cable on the floor, connected to a controler which will shut off the whole water change system when there is water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode