Diy lumia build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy lumia build

Im in the process of building a regular 3 watt led light. I'm looking at the lumia now and an thinking of going in that direction. On their website it recommends a 48 volt 5.2 amp power supply and I have a 48 v 7.5amp supply. I have 5 meanwell ldd700's on a board. Is the amperage fine? you just have to make sure you have enough for the drivers correct? One lumia with the five drivers should use 3.5 amps if I drive them at 700 ma. So if I do two LEDs I need 7 amps. Am I looking at this correctly? If I only drive the LEDs at 500ma and get 3 of the LEDs I'm still at 7.5 amps. More LEDs ran at a lower amp? Or two ran full strength?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaduhn1 View Post
Im in the process of building a regular 3 watt led light. I'm looking at the lumia now and an thinking of going in that direction. On their website it recommends a 48 volt 5.2 amp power supply and I have a 48 v 7.5amp supply. I have 5 meanwell ldd700's on a board. Is the amperage fine? you just have to make sure you have enough for the drivers correct? One lumia with the five drivers should use 3.5 amps if I drive them at 700 ma. So if I do two LEDs I need 7 amps. Am I looking at this correctly? If I only drive the LEDs at 500ma and get 3 of the LEDs I'm still at 7.5 amps. More LEDs ran at a lower amp? Or two ran full strength?
Exactly which Lumia are you referring to?

Quote:
Layout:

Channel 1 - XT-E Warm White 2700K (16V @ 1500mA)
Channel 2 - XT-E Warm White 3200K (16V @ 1500mA)
Channel 3 - 3x 660nm Deep Red 2x XT-E Royal Blue (13V @ 700mA)
Channel 4 - XT-E Cool White 5000K (16V @ 1500mA)
Channel 5 - XT-E Cool White 6000K (16V @ 1500mA)
Quote:
Layout:

Channel 1 - 3 Hyper Violet and 2 CREE XT-E Royal Blue (Actinic channel) (18v @ 700mA)
Channel 2 - Royal Blue (base blue spectrum) (16.5V @ 1500mA)
Channel 3 - 3 XT-E Netural White and 2 XT-E Warm White (base white color) (16.5V @ 1500mA)
Channel 4 - Turquoise / CREE XPE2 Blue (enhanced color spectrum) (17.2V @ 700mA)
Channel 5 - 3 Hyper Violet (430nm) and 2 True Violet (410nm) (Violet channel) (18v @ 700mA) *as of June 1st 2014
Quote:
Layout:

Channel 1 - XTE-E Royal Blue (base blue spectrum for vegetation) (18V @ 1500mA)
Channel 2 - 730nm Hyper Red (designed for sunrise / sunset) (11v @ 350mA) - Key wavelength to get optimal growth
Channel 3 - 660nm Deep Red (flowering spectrum) (13V @ 700mA)
Channel 4 - 660nm Deep Red (flowering spectrum) (13V @ 700mA)
Channel 5 - XT-E Warm White (high noon effect) (18V @ 1500mA)

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It'll be the freshwater one. Which is the first one you posted the specs to. Also I've seen where people appear to wire them in a series with one set of drivers and one power supply. How would that work if you know?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Can't you run these all in 1 channel if you wanted? As far as the setup you mention it will work, don't know why you would go 48v though just get a meanwell hlg supply/driver type b is easily dimmed

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
It'll be the freshwater one. Which is the first one you posted the specs to. Also I've seen where people appear to wire them in a series with one set of drivers and one power supply. How would that work if you know?
For each channel just add the voltage (v(f)) at the drive current of your choice.
since you won't actually know the EXACT V(f) unless you measure it you can use a few assumptions..(V(f) of 3.125 @700mA for the CREE's)
Each channel is 5 diodes in series 2 parallel rows..Voltage will equal sum of tne series row, drive current per "group" will be 1/2 of the array current.

to put 3 chips in series but one channel per driver on an ldd would require 3.125x5 x3 chips = 46.875 plus LDD required differential of 3V = 49.875
Actually you may be able to squeeze out a good functional array at really low drive current. At 500mA (really 250ma per group of 2) V(f) is way below 3V (say 2.8) =45V

Sooo underdriving 3 chips, w/ each channel in series on each chip "should" work just fine w/ 500mA drivers..

Each diode will only be running at .66W though..Kind of a waste..
Depending on bin you could get 90-150lumens/ watt BUT X .66

The reason the chip is rated at 1500mA is the /2 thing. Each branch of one channel is only running at 750mA...

Personally If I wanted to run 3 in series w/ LDD's I'd pick LDD-L or H at 600mA -1000mA
(300mA per 5 diodes). That at least gets you close to 1W/chip

The "on paper" max current based on 3 chips in series, 48V PS ((45 effective) is 3V max V(f) at slightly under 600mA (1200/2)
UNFORTUNATELY there are no LDD's (H or S) that does 1500mA at the voltage you need for in series.
you should be able to "do the math" for 2 in series)

http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cr...g/XLampXTE.pdf

To "simplify" everything and not need such a large voltage PS
you could just use a 24V supply, 15 drivers of your choice under 1500mA and be done w/ it..

1000mA driver will drive each chip to 1.45W. Using LDD-L's you could go to 1500mA and use the 18V (21V total)number plus a bit to get 24V

your 100W chip is at 72.5W really..The ind chips ARE capable of 5W but at that arrangement and density it is not practical..
It would require a 2800mA driver...+/- a few mA. Heat would be horrible..

So your choices are more drivers/higher output/more heat/more wiring (you can use the 48V, doesn't really matter much after hitting the V(f) requirement, slight efficiency on the PS if you don't "waste" too many volts) or less drivers, series channels/less wiring/less heat/lower output..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-24-2015 at 02:33 AM. Reason: edit
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok thats a lot to take in
I already have the power supply and the ldd700 drivers on a board that's why i want to use them. I was going to use a bunch of cheap ebay leds that way if i destroy them i don't care as much but looking at these leds its tough not to go that route. they say one will cover a 2' by 2' area and i'm covering 3' by 18" so figured if i did three of them i could get better coverage and just dim them with the arduino but if two is the better option with the parts that i have already then i'll go with two. i saw one build where the person did two on a 40b for saltwater and still got high par. Unfortunately he didn't really post about the build.
The power supply will put out a little more then 48. I want to say it can go up or down 5% or something like that. enough to squeeze a few more volts.
so with just two leds and the components i have I would still get pretty high output right and they would just run in a regular series correct? Nothing fancy about it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
ok thats a lot to take in
I already have the power supply and the ldd700 drivers on a board that's why i want to use them. I was going to use a bunch of cheap ebay leds that way if i destroy them i don't care as much but looking at these leds its tough not to go that route. they say one will cover a 2' by 2' area and i'm covering 3' by 18" so figured if i did three of them i could get better coverage and just dim them with the arduino but if two is the better option with the parts that i have already then i'll go with two. i saw one build where the person did two on a 40b for saltwater and still got high par. Unfortunately he didn't really post about the build.
The power supply will put out a little more then 48. I want to say it can go up or down 5% or something like that. enough to squeeze a few more volts.
so with just two leds and the components i have I would still get pretty high output right and they would just run in a regular series correct? Nothing fancy about it.
Yes, 2 in series will be less than:
32,32,26,32,32 Volts but then add 3V for the ldd
35,35,29,35,35 (max voltage at max current )
700mA x 5 = 3.5A
48V 7.5A is plenty big enough

Roughly 2.8V at the ind. diode and 350mA =.98W/diode
at another roughly 100 lumens @ 350mA (depends on BIN)
8000 lumens for 2 chips..(ignoring the "purple" ch 3)

Hanging it about 5" off the water line should give good coverage f/b as well..

you may want to parallel ch3 since it's recommended current is max 700ma

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i would still be underdriving them correct? Since the 700Ma would be split between the two leds- or does series not split the MA? If i did two sets of drivers i could drive each on at 700Ma and get way more power right? if channel 3 has a max of 700ma and i'm using a 700ma driver would that give each one 350 or 700 and stay below the max or right at?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
i would still be underdriving them correct? Since the 700Ma would be split between the two leds- or does series not split the MA? If i did two sets of drivers i could drive each on at 700Ma and get way more power right? if channel 3 has a max of 700ma and i'm using a 700ma driver would that give each one 350 or 700 and stay below the max or right at?
yes/no...series does not split the mA driver current. Only doubles the voltage needs..

Each "row" in that chip is 5 diodes in series and 2 "groups of 5" in parallel.
Any driver will divide the mA output by 2 for the group of 5 diodes.

Recommended max mA is 1500 (700 per group of five)

Stringing channel in series or not makes no difference..
ch1(a)..ch1(b)..ch1(c)..ch1(x).. all diodes will be at 350mA (at 700ma drive current)

voltage adds in series.
amps add (or subtract, however you want to think about it) in parallel..

W/ 2 chips (or one, can't do 3 due to LDD-L voltage limits) you could use LDD-L's at 1500mA and go from there.. It still will be 750mA per "group" regardless of one or 2 chips in series..

bottom line you can't increase mA drive current w/out changing mA output of the driver..

Be aware that ch3 STILL needs to be different if you do.. (you would drive each group of 5 (10 total diodes per row) at 750ma not the recommended 750/2 mA)

The mA split occurs ON the chip IN one row...No way around that..
you see a row but what you have is this:

|... D...D...D...D..D.|
{ignore this typing}.........
|...D...D..D...D...D.|

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-24-2015 at 04:40 PM. Reason: edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode