Arduino Programmable Timer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Arduino Programmable Timer

I was going to complete it and then start the thread but due to popular demand, here I am.

I am trying to make a cheap programmable timer that will have many outputs and can be individually programmed(I start cheap but usually end up spending more than the ones that are already available in the market). Any suggestions are welcome. I am a newbie to these kind of things and I am sure this is a 5min thing for experts.

Goal : Timer that will have atleast 6 - 8 individually programmable outputs. In future, it should also have multiple inputs like temperature, Ph etc.

Here are the stuff that I have so far
1. Sainsmart 8 channel 5V Relay Module
2. Digispark Arduino Real time clock kit
3. Sainsmart TFT LCD Touch screen
4. Arduino Mega
5. Cheap Powerstrip from home depot for testing.

Pic below

I will update it when I do something to it. Please leave your suggestions and problems that you already foresee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151116_1931352_rewind.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	545961  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
am i seeing that right..you paid $1.99 for the 8 channel relay???

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
am i seeing that right..you paid $1.99 for the 8 channel relay???
I tried but Microcentre wouldn give me. It was $11.99.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

In my experience, making the user interface is the most time consuming part of this.

Also, you generally want to wire/program all the inputs/outputs/devices BEFORE setting it up on your tank. Speaking from personal experience and preference here.

I personally would build the iAqua setup, sounds like it would suit your needs and it uses basically the same parts that you already bought. Unless you really want to make your own, nothing wrong with that

DIY Enthusiast

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Planted Member

I have a similar project in mind. I just got an Arduino last week! I imagine there are libraries or code sample for managing the display and controls to jumpstart the project, but I have not started looking yet. I would be interested to know if you find anything interesting.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55 View Post
In my experience, making the user interface is the most time consuming part of this.

Also, you generally want to wire/program all the inputs/outputs/devices BEFORE setting it up on your tank. Speaking from personal experience and preference here.

I personally would build the iAqua setup, sounds like it would suit your needs and it uses basically the same parts that you already bought. Unless you really want to make your own, nothing wrong with that
I like doing DIY things and I really dont need one at the moment. I am just trying to build one for fun. I want to extend the uses of it to control my heater with temp sensor, Control CO2 with a color detection/ph sensor etc.

I am going to setup the whole thing before soldering or going anywhere near my tank. Thanks for the advice

I read the whole post on iAqua and it is an inspiration but that set up is way too complicated for me. I would like to start simple

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I have a similar project in mind. I just got an Arduino last week! I imagine there are libraries or code sample for managing the display and controls to jumpstart the project, but I have not started looking yet. I would be interested to know if you find anything interesting.
The display codes to jump start are easily available online. Its the customization after this that will be a pain. I will post as I progress.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode