DIY show tank in the wall - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY show tank in the wall

I always had this crazy idea of building a big a.. show tank in the wall, something like 500 gallons or more. I have been kind of messing with the plans in my had for a few years now and I think before the end of this year I will actually build the damn thing. I am going to share my ideas on how to do the thing rather cheap but strong but want to see if someone had a similar experiance and would share his ideas on the subject as well.

So the idea is to do it as cheap as possible but it has to be strong and look like a show tank. I have not decided if I should have any live plants because of the size and access issue(will discuss it later) but preatty sure I will have some discus or/and angels. I have a place in the basement where the bottom three feet of the wall is a block wall and the rest of the way up is open space with the crawl space behind. It actually works out perfect because I would not want to have a show tank any lower than 3' above the floor level anyway, and because of the crawl space behind I can do it as deep as I want it to be. Side and back walls I would build out of 2x4's with plywood inside. For the floor it would be a sheet of plywood over the concrete slab(and of course some insulator in between). The walls I would build up all the way to the ceiling for strength. The actual crawl space hight is about 4' which gives me about 3' wieving space from the front of the tank and about a foot before the ceiling joists which means the access area for maintance would be in that one foot of space. Kind of tight but should be enough to clean the tank etc. Lastly I would install thin(=cheap) plaxy glass right over the plywood walls and floor(painted side <nice ocean blue color> towards plywood) and use a thick plaxy glass for the front wieving glass. Silicone the corners from the inside and you are done! I would have a little access above the wieving glass just for feeding/water treatment and a bigger access from the back of the tank(crawl space side) for maintance etc. Drill two(or four, depending on the size) holes for overflow and you are done(actually I would need at least one more overflow going through the floor in case I ever need to drain the thing).

If some one out there tackled a project like this before please let me know your thoughts, ideas, corrections... If you never did anything like it and think I am just an idiot waisting your time, and mine for that matter, well than better keep your comments to yourselfor just say it...whatever

P>S. I always tackle this crazy projects but then somewhere towards the end I figure I could have done it somewhat differently or something else. Hopefuly this is not one of those projects
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could still have live plants, just research your lighting options/wants and pick plants accordingly. High light means the addition of carbon/Co2, and thus in turn, plants are going to grow rather fast/well.
If you got for lower to moderate lighting, you could easily keep crypts anubias, vals and other low-light plants that are slow growers, thus in turn reducing the amount of time needed to trim and take care of the plants physically. This does not mean slacking off on water quality though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode