Electrical Question. Rigging up 50W LED's. Voltage? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Electrical Question. Rigging up 50W LED's. Voltage?

Alright so I have a completely _____ question.

I'm no electrician, but know how to splice together wires. There are these 50watt LED fixtures that come with probably a foot of cable, but no plug so I will have to attach a plug myself.

Well I have no idea about what voltage the lights should "come in".
I'm in the USA, so we use 110V or 120V?

The lights I'm looking at I see in their description saying 85-265V, 95-260V, 90-240V. No idea which is compatible, just want to make sure I get one that I can use/rig up. Does that mean any voltage between the two numbers is able to be used, so all would work for 110/120v?

By the way, what's the best way of connecting the wires so that the final product is waterproof? (yet still not look like a hack job -no silicone filled, taped up wire nuts)

Just want to be sure haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post

The lights I'm looking at I see in their description saying 85-265V, 95-260V, 90-240V. No idea which is compatible, just want to make sure I get one that I can use/rig up. Does that mean any voltage between the two numbers is able to be used, so all would work for 110/120v?
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
By the way, what's the best way of connecting the wires so that the final product is waterproof? (yet still not look like a hack job -no silicone filled, taped up wire nuts)

Just want to be sure haha.

Solder and shrink tube is the best visually I suppose.
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4814-106-Piece-Waterproof-Shrink/dp/B00BVL856I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447683451&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+heat+shrink+tubingNext is probably tube connectors but not really waterproof

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...ical-connector

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
They make those tube connectors that are water resistant as well, look at an automotive store, they have a dielectric gel inside and a great shrink cover over the top. Not good for submersion but good enough for splashes

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Isn't this simply a matter of adding a plug?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Pretty much yeah haha. Just didn't know if the LED was able to be powered by our American outlets/plugs.

Anyways, does anyone know about LED's and their light output?

So I am looking at these 50watt LED lights, well upon a bit of research, they are apparently SMD's? They are the white/yellow squares.
Well I have seen 50W lights come with either one large "SMD" or a different 50W light with a lot of smaller "SMDs" (I think it said 60 of them). Both list all the same lumens, cool white 6500K, 50W, only difference is the amount/size of LED/SMDs.

Just wondering if either had a advantage over one another as to which to get. Both are the same price.
Do the smaller LED's stay cooler, thus more likely prolonging it's life, or do they get hotter faster given the smaller surface area?
Does either somehow shine brighter than the other or have a wider angle?
The smaller, yet more LEDs have the benefit of only having some burn out and still have the others work, while if the single large one burned out it's toast? Or does it not work that way.

These lights are intended for growing plants (going for high light on cheap budget), so just want to be sure I get the best one.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

I am trying out some led flood lights a friend lent me this weekend. They sell them online. They are suppose to be 6500 w. My friend used them to grow some really great plants, lots of colors. tons of hc etc. I put one on a 29g tank and it casts shadows! These come with a plug from a guy in NY State.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, that's exactly what I am getting.
Xenxes on here uses them on his tank and has great success so I know they are tried and true. Know sure how much PAR though, but he has some decent red plants going on and nice compact carpets, fast growth all around the tank as well.

I'm still looking through all the lights, haven't exactly found too many that come with plugs (at least on eBay), then I need to figure if the ones that come with plugs, if they are worth the higher price or not.

If it's not too much to ask, can you ask your friend of his opinion on them? There is reports of reliability issues, but they are primarily due to them being poorly assembled and can be taken apart and situated correctly to be very long lasting. For the bargain price though, I guess it's worth the hassle of tinkering with them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode