I just started a DIY co2 on saturday- later that evening i came back to the forums and read all about the Hagen elite... i immediately called my local petco, and luckily they had one - so i put it in... here are my observations:
1. I didn't cut into it, just spread the bottom vents with a knife and put the airline tubing through the gap...
2. I started using the elite on saturday night with a fine airstone, that seemed to work well, but today i noticed less pearling on the leaves so i removed the airstone and now my pearling is back. it seems to me that the airstone got clogged up...?
3. At first the pump/impeller was loud, but in short time it got real quiet, i was a little worried at first.
4. The noise difference between using the airstone and not using the airstone is nominal.
5. I have a fluval 205, and thought about just putting the co2 straight into the intake, but i read somewhere that with the fluval sometimes the co2 can get trapped in there in air pockets, so i feel much more comfortable with this setup.
overall i'm very happy with the tip and jumped on it... as soon as i read it i jumped in my car and made it to the store before closing, lol. I do not regret buying the hagen elite for this purpose.
Last edited by Whiskeyfox; 10-27-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Reason: more information