DIY CO2 Hagen Elite reactor efficiency vs. airstone + HOB filter intake? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Question DIY CO2 Hagen Elite reactor efficiency vs. airstone + HOB filter intake?

I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on which one of the two ways would be better for DIY CO2:

1. Using the Hagen Elite Mini filter as the reactor (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...2-reactor.html)

or

2. Just using an airstone and placing it right next to an AquaClear 50 filter intake

I have the airstone going right now. This is my first try with CO2. The amount of CO2 that's coming out is a constant very rapid stream of tiny bubbles coming out from only one spot on the stone, and then they all get sucked into the filter.

I have the Hagen Elite sitting in front of me ready to be broken into, but if the airstone into the filter would be equivalent or almost as good as the Hagen Elite reactor, I guess I could save $10, an extra outlet and room in my tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (98/100%)
i'd go with the hagen elite method. ive never tried the airstone + HOB filter combo, But hagen dissolve co2 better than any glass ceramic diffuser.

Eheim 2217 #346

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use the Hagen Elite and it works great for diffusing CO2.
The only downside is the extra equipment in my small tank.
I may try a DIY inline reactor. If you try tha Hagen diffuse the
CO2 with an air stone in the Hagen, it makes it quieter .

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 11:59 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi radwaste,
Maybe you could answer a few questions I have about the elite. How large is the reaction chamber and what size fitting is the sponge attached to? Could a 1/2" line go between the sponge and the fitting? If I could run a 1/2 inch line with all those bubbles, using a small spray bar at the end. It would be very cool.

Roll Your Own.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 AM
Algae Grower

The Hagen elite is basically a small in tank filter. water flows in the screen at the bottom
thru a sponge inside and out a small jet port in front.
By cutting a small hole in the intake screen, removing the sponge and running your CO2
line thru the hole and attaching an airstone in the now empty sponge chamber, you can make an effective CO2 reactor. Micro CO2 bubbles are shot out the front jet port and
dispersed thru the tank. The sponge chamber is aprox. a 1.5 inch cube.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:29 AM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks radwaste,
not bad for $10. Can the impeller be modified to make a needlewheel? Sounds like attaching the sponge to the jet port is pretty much useless.

Roll Your Own.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

Follow the link in the first post. I think I read that some people modified it to a needle
wheel and it worked well. I don't use the sponge either. The out flow has a flow rate adjuster too. For 10 bucks it works great. I just have a small 10 gallon and its an extra
piece of hardware in my tank so I am thinking about a DIY inline. Besides the hobby is
so much funner when you trying new things.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 AM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

genEus, the elite modification sounds better then just an airstone under an HOB. It's just that it's not really much of a reactor. A reactor would dissolve CO2 into solution. This diy of mine is larger then the elite, more expensive diy but a much more effective reaction chamber (if thats what you are looking for). It also makes for an excellent surface skimmer. The filter media is whack and needs some creative solutions, but it runs full-out for much longer with a few changes that are very simple. If I could only get a witness. http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquati...e-skimmer.html

Roll Your Own.

Last edited by tug; 10-26-2009 at 12:12 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwaste View Post
DIY inline. Besides the hobby is
so much funner when you trying new things.
Absolutely. In fact it's been suggested that someone should start a spare parts/swap-meet thread to deal with all are boxes of stuff.

Roll Your Own.

Last edited by tug; 10-26-2009 at 09:23 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Algae Grower

I just started a DIY co2 on saturday- later that evening i came back to the forums and read all about the Hagen elite... i immediately called my local petco, and luckily they had one - so i put it in... here are my observations:

1. I didn't cut into it, just spread the bottom vents with a knife and put the airline tubing through the gap...
2. I started using the elite on saturday night with a fine airstone, that seemed to work well, but today i noticed less pearling on the leaves so i removed the airstone and now my pearling is back. it seems to me that the airstone got clogged up...?
3. At first the pump/impeller was loud, but in short time it got real quiet, i was a little worried at first.
4. The noise difference between using the airstone and not using the airstone is nominal.
5. I have a fluval 205, and thought about just putting the co2 straight into the intake, but i read somewhere that with the fluval sometimes the co2 can get trapped in there in air pockets, so i feel much more comfortable with this setup.

overall i'm very happy with the tip and jumped on it... as soon as i read it i jumped in my car and made it to the store before closing, lol. I do not regret buying the hagen elite for this purpose.

Last edited by Whiskeyfox; 10-27-2009 at 03:46 AM. Reason: more information
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Yeah. I set up the Hagen Elite diffuser tonight and I have to say - there is absolutely NO COMPARISON between the two methods. With the Elite, my plants started pearling 15 minutes later, which was a beautiful site because it was something i had never witnessed in my life and only seen pictures of. The airstone was running for 24 hours already and no pearling visible. So Hagen wins hands down. I do have to say that it took a bit of tweaking to get the thing to work correctly, because the directions from Niko weren't exactly right. I ended up doing the same as Whiskeyfox - I spread apart the grill in the back of the filter and slid the line in there and put the air stone on the other side. I tried to slide it in from the place where the flow controller is but that didn't work at all.

Only thing I don't really like is "seltzer water" I got when I positioned the output of the Hagen under the output spout of my HOB. But I moved it to the side behind my piece of driftwood and didn't have as many tiny bubbles flowing around the tank.

But, about the noise? Without the air stone I thought it was very loud and annoying when the bubbles were broken by the impeller. With the stone, much better. I guess it's one of those YMMV things.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (98/100%)
u can stick a chop stick in the tube if u dont have an air stone works just fine too.

Eheim 2217 #346

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Anyone have a problem where if you leave off the green controller, the blades come off??? It keeps happening so I put back in the green controller back on and the co2 might be gettin stuck in the filter compartment.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niptek View Post
u can stick a chop stick in the tube if u dont have an air stone works just fine too.
+1

I chopped a Tom Aquarium Mini Internal Filter in half and stuck the tubing with a piece of chopstick in the end right below the impeller and it works flawlessly.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode