Cascading and drilling 20 long tanks - reality check/help needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cascading and drilling 20 long tanks - reality check/help needed

I'll preface this by saying I should really avoid browsing sale ads, because they result in finding things like this:

That'd be a tricky tank to run heavily planted, but it did get me intrigued by the concept.

Rather than stacking tanks vertically, however, I'd like to try aligning a trio of Marineland 20l tanks like stair steps, cascading into one another along a section of the the long edges. It would provide a lot of oxygenation, and the fish I keep really like this sort of thing.

I'd ideally have an overflow (mini beananimal?) on the lower tank draining into a sump, then a return pump to go up to the top tank again.

Questions:
1) can the ends of Marineland tanks be drilled near the top edge for overflow pipes?
2) can anyone think of a way to arrange for a controlled overflow on the top two tanks? I'd love to grind a notch in the edge of a derimmed tank, but that seems unsafe lol (not even sure if it's possible). I'd like to keep the overflow contained to a few inches at most, since we generally view the tanks along the long edge.
3) could the tanks be safely drilled near the bottom for another application? They're not deep tanks, but I'm not sure how structurally redundant the design is.

Thanks! Might be just a pipe dream, but it would be a way of getting more enjoyment out of the tanks I have instead of buying bigger ones.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-13-2015 at 04:07 AM. Reason: No Kijiji links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
1 and 2 yes technically I'd get no closer than 2 inches from edge of hole to edge of glass or edge of hole to edge of hole, that said mini bean animals are the way to go, half inch plumbing will do find and make sure you use a large sump, also I wouldn't drill the sides instead drill the back to avoid seeing plumbing as much as possible. If you wanted to do it on the side you can diy a much smaller overflow than most people use, Google ghost overflow, very easy to diy I did it myself and loved my overflows, inch and a half is all it stuck out and I used black acrylic so it fit in perfectly. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing what you come up with

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good stuff, thanks for the confirmation, and I'll look up that overflow. The "side" or short end is my back, since the short ends will be against the wall. We generally view the tanks from the sofa, which looks at the long side of the tanks.

Thanks tons again!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Or you can do overflow by siphon and skip the hole drilling.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

True, but the prospect of ruined hardwood puts fear in my heart. I would prefer a fail safe overflow if multiple tanks potentially drain into it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah just drill, hob overflows have failed on me and I will never trust them again, much easier to just drill

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
For what its worth, I just pulled the plastic off the top and bottom of a damaged standard 20 gallon tank (unsure of the brand). As my little project continued it was determined that the bottom and sides are annealed glass (not tempered glass). I have a glass cutting tool and was easily able to cut the sides and bottom as needed. I also was able to make corner cutouts on one of the pieces of glass (used if for a tank top).

All this leads me to say, yes you could go rimless with the top 2 tanks. Make a cutout on one of the top edges and let it over flow into the lower tank.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:46 PM
Planted Member

I think this could be really cool, especially if you could cut like an inch off of the top of the front panel. That way you should get a nice even waterfall rather than a stream of water if you were to drill ami hole. Might need to figure out a lip of some sort to keep water from dripping down the side of the tanks, but I'm sure that wouldn't be to difficult. Anyways, good luck!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks folks, going to do this. Only going for a partial waterfall though, since I view the tanks from our sofa perpendicular to the long side.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode