Culturing White Worms - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Culturing White Worms

I'm going to start culturing white worms for my discus. I've read of many different ways of doing this.
Has anyone got some 1st hand experience of this ?
What did you feed them on ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2004, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Well I guess no one else bothers with white worms, or you call them something else in the US/ Rest of world.
In case anyone needs to know, I am having success with soaked white bread and sometimes a bit of flake food.
The wormies are doing really well and the discus love 'em.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:23 AM

Sorry, know absolutely nothing about white worms!

However, I notice that you use JBL's Aquabasis substrate and CO2 system in one of your tanks. What do you think of them? Recommended or not?

Are you also using JBL's pH controller on the CO2 setup?

Thanks!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Algae Grower

tombsc,

I culture whiteworms (and sometimes sell them on Aquabid.com). All of mine live in plastic shoeboxes with damp dirt in the basement (cool and dark). I feed them exactly what you feed them. White bread (without the crust) soaked with water and throw some flakes on top.

Once the dirt gets too smelly I throw half the culture out....normally is some spot in my yard that the grass isn't growing too well....plants grow well in worm poop.

Every fish that I have loves white worms; Neon Tetras, Betas, Cory Cats (love to dig them up in the sand), and Amano & Ghost Shrimp.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 10:58 PM

I havent started to raise white worms yet. I was thinking about ordering some off aquabid this weekend coming up. I currently raise black worms. My fish love them. Ive noticed that my fish dont like to eat dry or flake food now. I bought 3 cultures of black worms and I am raisning them under my tank. I feed my fish black worms and frozen blood worms when my culture is running low. Do you know if white worms are any better than black worms or does anyone else? I want to have the best diet possible for my fish.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I thought I read (long ago) that whiteworms were pretty high in fat content and not a good daily source of fish food. Better as a treat, or maybe to induce breeding.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Ahhhh, lots of helpful replies.
My worms are living in expensive compost I borrowed (stole) from the neighbours. It hasn't got smelly yet but when it does I'll return it to their garden, fully enriched with worm poo !!

Laith - In response to your questions, I find the aquabasis extremly good. When I first set up the tank with it my swords were about 5 inches tall and putting out a new leaf every day or 2. When their roots hit the aquabasis they put on a bit of a spurt, now they are 18 inches tall and coming out of the water with 2 new leaves appearing daily. My crypts are also doing really (too) well. My C.parva are around 6-8 inches and taking over my foreground.
I will be moving house (again) soon so I see a re-scape happening.
As for the JBL CO2, I have no problems with it. My water is very hard and alkaline so I have added more spiral bits to the Co2 ladder thing that comes with it just to make sure that all the CO2 is dissolved before it gets to the top. My spiral ladder dissolver thingy (it's early I can't think what its called!) is about 15 inches tall (and well hidden behind a sword) and at the top has a lid part so any CO2 that doesn't get dissolved on the way up collects there to dissolve.
I also did away with the original cylinder as it was only small. I managed to get a 5KG bottle from a bar. The regulator doesn't quite fit, but with alot of effort it squeezes in with no leaks. I guess the size is slightly different as JBL is german and my co2 bottle is British (or JBL may have done it so you have to use only their bottles- I really don't know, but just wanted to say that you can replace the cylinder with a bigger/ cheaper one)
I don't have the pH controller as I can't afford it but have heard good stuff about it.
HTH

Tom
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ive done quite a bit of reading on white worm cultures. i LOVE them. unfortunately, my culture died because i didnt clean it up and i guess everything rotted.

anyways, yes they are high in fat. BUT i have read some discus keepers feed live white worms as main diet. that said, ithink its really personal choice on the feeding. all fish need good diet, including high fats and fibres PLUS vegitable matter.

anyways, pretty much when i had my culture, i never fed them bread. i feed them high quality fish food. this is one of the reason why i love white worms so much. i can "gut load" the worms then feed everything in 1 package to my fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode