Building Stand for 30gal. INPUT NEEDED - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Building Stand for 30gal. INPUT NEEDED

Theres alot of writeups out there but alot of them are really complicated due to being built for larger tanks. Ran across a few smaller designs but i didnt like how they were put together, remember simplicity is what im going for.

Since this is going to be for a 30gal, i would guess the design could be alot more simple.

The tank is about 24" x 15".

Being introduced to Google SktechUp, i came up with these blue prints.

I have alot of 2x4s to put to use, so im aiming to use nothing but 2x4s.

Tell me what you think. Remember, this is my FIRST time building anything like this, so i dont know the tips and tricks or how to position each 2x4 for maximum strength. So please look over them and tell me the dos and donts.

After the frame is built, im going to cover them over ADA style.

Thanks
-Q

P.S. Heres the MFK thread if you want to keep updated on my new project.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...d.php?t=277619
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The 2 x 4's at the bottom don't contribute much to the stand's strength. Since this is a new type of project for you I suggest you look for steel construction joint reinforcements and use them to make the corner joints. See https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...ial-style.html for ideas on what to use, and how to put it together. This way the plywood skin you plan to use doesn't have to be at all thick. It will just be for appearance, not strength.

Hoppy
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

2X4s are stronger on edge, id lap the front 2x4s past the sides so they both have bearing on the up rights. definitly use some corner brackets. good luck

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

this as much of the stand that i am going to be doing for my 55 gallon
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Redman88's frame would be ideal for this. Not hard to build, and very rigid, when skinned with any thickness of plywood. You could even use 2 x 3's to build it, if you can find them cheaper. Just remember that you need to sit this up on a 3/4" thick "pedestal" of some sort, such as a piece of 3/4 plywood, so the door has clearance at the bottom to open it. Otherwise the door scrapes the floor when you open it. (Don't ask why I know this.)

Hoppy
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

^Lol, thats exactly what im looking for. I wonder if i would have to put some type of center bracing to support the center of the tank.

Since its Acrylic and has little plastic supports on the bottom near the center of the tank, i would guess they need some type of surface to sit on?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, posted this on 3 different forums. And with all the tips i got this is what i came up with.

Also, this would make it alot stronger, but im not sure if they even make a brace like this. Got any ideas if theres anything like this? Circled in red.

Thanks

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to make a jpeg/png pic through Google SketchUp? I havent figured it out and been doing screen shots and cropping it in photoshop...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

this is the image i refer to when i start to plan my stands.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Just check at your local hardware chain store. You might have to use a couple different ones. A simple angle and one of these...
Attached Images

~Vanessa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(5) 10gal
20gal Long
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Those braces wouldn't make it any stronger. Everything is pushing straight down.

65 gallon journal:

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Of course it would't make it any stronger (I know a little about physics too), but it will keep everything together. That's what he's trying to figure out. Correct me if I'm wrong.

~Vanessa

(5) 10gal
20gal Long
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So should i ditch the braces? I also noticed an error in my design, how am i going to screw everything together...haha

And to think i work on cars, and im dumbfounded by a simple stand...

Redman, do you have more pics of the stand pictured (not the blueprint)? I want to see how everything is put together on the inside to get a better idea. Thats the design im trying to replicate pretty much.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Nails screws bolts glue?? Many stands built no braces added to keep them together. Since its going to be covered add a few more screws if you want to be on the safe side. My first few must have weighed an extra 10lbs from all the extra screws I added.lol Keep posting so we can see the progress. I knew I saw that multi colored stand somewhere before. Hope the link works as it gives all the deatils on what you need to build it just change sizes of cuts to suit needs.
http://freshwatercichlids.com/do-it-...aquarium-stand

Anyone can sail a ship in calm waters its when the storms come up shows what one is made of.
ODAAT

Last edited by mickmac247; 10-24-2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: added link
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Redman88's frame would be ideal for this. Not hard to build, and very rigid, when skinned with any thickness of plywood. You could even use 2 x 3's to build it, if you can find them cheaper. Just remember that you need to sit this up on a 3/4" thick "pedestal" of some sort, such as a piece of 3/4 plywood, so the door has clearance at the bottom to open it. Otherwise the door scrapes the floor when you open it. (Don't ask why I know this.)
im compelled to ask why you know this hoppy....

so why do you know this?

~the more i see the representatives of men, the more i admire dogs~

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to badmatt Send a message via MSN to badmatt Send a message via Yahoo to badmatt
to me all this for a 30 gallon seems over kill a simple 3/4" plywood stand should be more the enough.... like 370lbs max with substrate and the weight of the tank isn't a lot.. build a ADA style stand and call it a day if you feel the need to add some extra bracing just use 2x2

Eheim Pimp Club Member #47
125G discus

Other money Pit's
05 GTO- exhaust, tune, intake.
97 Bagged Sonoma - layin frame on 22's
00 GMC Jimmy.... DD stock

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode