How about an electronic monitoring gizmo to give you real time 24/7 feedback? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
How about an electronic monitoring gizmo to give you real time 24/7 feedback?

What if there was a gizmo that either lived in your tank or on the back of it and tracked in real time all the things you could possibly want to know about your planted tank, then reported them to your computer/twitter/facebook/blackberry/sms/you name it.

You can imagine the interface as pretty and customizable as you want, with charts, graphs, recommendations, schedules, and real time tracking of whatever you want.

How many parameters do we want to check and track?

1. pH
2. Temperature
3. Hardness
4. Light output
5. Ammonia
6. Nitrites
7. Nitrates
8. CO2
9. KNO3 ?
10. KH2PO4 ?
11. Water level ?
12. What else??

Now, don't think about whether it could be done. Suppose that technologically it could be done.

A. Would this be of interest?

B. How much would you pay for this device?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:43 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I think someone would be a billionaire if they could create this. At a minimum, I would love to have an electronic meter (handheld would be fine) that could measure nitrates and phosphates without using the test kits. I'm surprised that with all the technology out there, professional labs still test nitrates using titration.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX-PLT View Post
I've seen it. It's lame. Unless I'm mistaken, they only measure pH, temperature and ORP (what is ORP?)

Did you see the list I made in the OP? Again, don't worry about feasibility. Just whether you would buy it and how much you would pay
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (46/100%)
i think geneus is being facetious.

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions." - Jurassic Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by danepatrick View Post
i think geneus is being facetious.
Not really.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:50 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It has been done before...

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-journal.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ahuna-56k.html

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genEus View Post
I've seen it. It's lame. Unless I'm mistaken, they only measure pH, temperature and ORP (what is ORP?)
ORP is oxidation reduction potential and is something that monitored in saltwater tanks.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Those guys are crazy... Once again, sure the idea is there but not even close to what I proposed in the OP.

I am imagining a black box the size of an average HOB filter. All it would have would be a probe in the tank, a power cord on the other side and an ethernet port for initial setup.

And, don't think DIY of course - I imagine tens of thousands of dollars would go into the chemical and engineering research and making the first prototype. Think big! (Ermm.. or small, nano technology small )
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:31 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
A little black box is not feasible. With all those sensors to detect all of those parameters, it would be pretty large and very expensive. I wouldn't spend more than $100 on an instrument and this might be up in the thousands.

I actually wouldn't bother getting an instrument now that I think about it. I'm fine with letting the plants & algae tell me what's wrong.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
here's my input...

A) yes, as long as it doesn't create a lot more work to maintain it nor have significant recurring costs.
B) $99 per tank
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
A little black box is not feasible. With all those sensors to detect all of those parameters, it would be pretty large and very expensive. I wouldn't spend more than $100 on an instrument and this might be up in the thousands.

I actually wouldn't bother getting an instrument now that I think about it. I'm fine with letting the plants & algae tell me what's wrong.
IANAC (I am not a chemist), so it might not be feasible. However, I wonder how much water and reagent is actually needed to do a test. If you think in basic terms of a collection of miniscule pathways to carry water and some reagents together for a reaction, then a microchip and a few sensors to evaluate those reactions - that could definitely fit into a small box. I'm dreaming but I'm so curious I might go check out a local university's chemical engineering department and talk to some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snafu View Post
here's my input...

A) yes, as long as it doesn't create a lot more work to maintain it nor have significant recurring costs.
B) $99 per tank
Thanks!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I think having a portable device that can be used for different tanks would be the best solution. Like a pH meter, but you can test everything with it by just holding a probe in the tank. It would have to have a small screen, so I wouldn't necessarily have to go back to my computer every time I want to communicate with this thing.
Measurements should be pretty exact (e.g. pH in .1 increments) as most manual test are not nearly exact enough and too much can be interpreted into result colors.

Continuous live monitoring and recording of all parameters would be neat for lab experiments but for everyday use I find it highly obsessive.

Things I'd like to monitor with it:
1. pH
2. Temperature
3. Hardness (especially kH as it can change faster than gH)
4. Light output (IMO rather unnecessary)
5. Ammonia (with an auto alert)
6. Nitrites (with auto alert)
7. Nitrates (like all other ferts with integrated calculator that will recommend how much N you'd have to add to raise it to a certain level that one needs to be able to set themselves)
8. CO2
9. KNO3 ?
10. KH2PO4 ?
11. Total dissolved solids
12. All other ferts (Fe, etc)

Decent pH meters are fairly expensive, so paying $150-$200 if I its portable and I can use it in all my tanks would be OK. More than that and you could only sell it to people with SEVERAL tanks, who really need the time savings of testing all parameters by hand. Cost is very important and you could rather include less features but make it more affordable.

Still though, it needs to be pretty simple to use, easy to calibrate w/o much maintenance and added reoccurring costs. A whole set, if I have to look at prices for all the different components I will need, I'm not interested anymore. Nevertheless, we don't have grant money to spend on this .

~Vanessa

(5) 10gal
20gal Long

Last edited by vca2004; 10-22-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spell check
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genEus View Post

Did you see the list I made in the OP? Again, don't worry about feasibility. Just whether you would buy it and how much you would pay
The controllers they make are great. Build your program and you have so much control on how to manage your tank. Lighting programs, CO2, heat, cooling, it goes on.

The idea of making an all in one monitoring system is a dream, but the likely hood is very small.

A pH probe (that you would plug into your black box) is $40 alone. you would need 1 probe for each item you are measuring. Many of the parameters that you are looking for do not have probes available.

It is a nice dream, but to break down the levels of ferts in the water column, you are talking hard core chemistry, not a simple drop in and get a digital read out.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
All you need is a sexy mass spectrometer and power controller for lights and heater oops a little over that $100 cost, I left off 3 zeros.
md

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode