Pointing filter outflow towards back glass. Issues? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pointing filter outflow towards back glass. Issues?

Only posting this in DIY because I'm not really quite sure where else to put it. This may sound like a very stupid question, but I remember reading somewhere on a reef forum that constant flow from a wave maker against the corner of a tank caused the seam to burst or the glass to crack.

While I understand that the flow of my canister filter exerts nowhere near the pressure that a wavemaker does, I am still curious if there are any adverse effects of pointing your filter flow somewhat directly against the glass, at a slight angle? My filter is a Filstar XP-S in a 22 gallon rimless, and the flow is way too strong for my tank (when my fish are seemingly resting their fins are constantly moving, or if they stop moving their fins they will pretty much be pushed towards the other end of the tank).

To aid in reducing flow, I directed the filter flow pretty much right up against the back glass and used a piece of driftwood to further divert the flow. This created a sort of upward wave along the back left corner, however it greatly reduced the circulation within the water column and I notice that my fish are much more at ease. Wondering though if this is adding stress on the back left seam?

Again, I'm sure this may be a face-palm moment, but my gut reminds me that I read something detrimental along these lines a while back. Better safe than sorry, yeah? Please see the video below to see what I'm referring to; sorry about the poor quality, it really gets reduced during uploading.

Thanks!

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #65

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would have put this in the equipment section, but that's just me.

I believe you should be fine, it takes 10's of pounds of pressure to split the seam let alone crack the glass. If you have a wall of koralias blowing the width of the tank (back to front, or vice versa) you might have enough to split the seam. If you have an issue with this you're either using a powerhead that's rated wayyy too high for the tank (which you don't) or a tank that was assembled poorly.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
I would have put this in the equipment section, but that's just me.

I believe you should be fine, it takes 10's of pounds of pressure to split the seam let alone crack the glass. If you have a wall of koralias blowing the width of the tank (back to front, or vice versa) you might have enough to split the seam. If you have an issue with this you're either using a powerhead that's rated wayyy too high for the tank (which you don't) or a tank that was assembled poorly.
Ha, YES, the equipment section. But of course. Thanks for the reassurance.

Nicholas

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you could direct the flow with a spray-bar against the rear glass so that the water flowed all along the face of the rear glass it would be best position. Keep the intake in the same corner facing the front.

The flow is now widened as so hardly any pressure on the glass; the rate of flow is also slower and the water movement is a gentle circular movement all through the tank which will keep the water homogeneous and bring nutrients to all the plants.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
If you could direct the flow with a spray-bar against the rear glass so that the water flowed all along the face of the rear glass it would be best position. Keep the intake in the same corner facing the front.

The flow is now widened as so hardly any pressure on the glass; the rate of flow is also slower and the water movement is a gentle circular movement all through the tank which will keep the water homogeneous and bring nutrients to all the plants.
I have a spray bar that I could use, but I wouldn't necessarily be able to direct the flow against the rear glass. I really wanted to avoid using a spray bar so as to keep visible equipment to a minimum.

Nicholas

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 03:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

The bar would be in vertical position near the corner pointing towards the opposite corner. It would be easy to hide it behind a tall bushy plant.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
The bar would be in vertical position near the corner pointing towards the opposite corner. It would be easy to hide it behind a tall bushy plant.
Makes sense. I just tried it and it was working great, as you said, but I had to do a little DIY with some tubing since this crappy spraybar came with the wrong elbow size. It started to leak from the top of the tube so I'll need to get a replacement before I can do it properly.

Nicholas

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Glad to be of help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode