DIY CO2 for 2.5g Help? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By kevmo911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 for 2.5g Help?

I have a 2.5g with a Nerite snail and a betta. I am planning o n adding DIY CO2. I have everything ready but haven't actually connected it or anything. I'm going to make sure it goes to the filter flow which will push the bubbles down. The problem is, 2.5 is a really small tank. I'm scared I'll overdose it and I'll kill my betta. Is there a way to turn it off? I heard you should turn it on and off before the lights.cao for example, 10:00am turn on the co2 and then at 10:30am your lights come on.

So is there a way to turn it off at night? Also what's a good schedule. Forgot to mention:

Light: 12" finnex stingray
Substrate Black CaribSea sand about 2-3"
Dosing Exel 3 times a week. Mon,Thurs,sat
Dosing flourish weekly.
Flora:
S.Repens
Anubias Nana Petit
Thinking of adding some red, maybe Ludwigia
Fauna:
betta
Nerite snail

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 with yeast can't be turned off, it produces CO2 at an almost constant rate. I guess you could remove the airstone or whatever you're using to diffuse it into the water from your filter at night but that's labor intensive. DIY doesn't produce that much at once, but in a small tank it could be an issue. Maybe someone who's done it in a nano will chime in.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I don't think you need co2 in a tank that small. Try adding one of the rotalas for red.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I'd stick with the Excel. The only way you can control it is to disconnect the bottle somehow. You could remove the line from the tank every night. If you do that you will have to wait for the pressure to build up in the bottle daily though.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 01:01 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Well, in theory, you could use a 3-way normally closed solenoid in reverse. The way we use them with high-pressure CO2 (from cylinders, through regulators) is port one (supply) is opened to port two when the coil is energized, allowing CO2 to flow. When the coil is de-energized, port 1 is closed off and port 2 is open to port 3, which we can either plug or just use a check valve from keeping air or water from backflowing through the tube, into port 2, and out port 3.

The way you could do that with DIY CO2 is install it in reverse, with the supply going into port 3. So when the solenoid coil is energized, port 1 is open to port 2, and CO2 follows the tubing to the tank. When it's de-energized, port two opens to port 3, allowing the CO2 to escape.

Most solenoids aren't designed to work this way, but with the really low pressure involved, it will probably be fine. But there are solenoids that are designed to be run this way. They're multipurpose 3-way solenoids, and installing them backward (port 3 supply to port 2 output) causes a normally open state.

Since you're using DIY CO2, this is probably far more involved than you want to get. But you asked if it was possible, and I answered
tuffgong and tuffgong like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I read a while back for that size tank you can dose seltzer water every day and get the same effect...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
How about adding an air pump and airstone. Keep it on a timer and have it turn on when the lights go out.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
There actually is a way to turn DIY Co2 off at night. It is simple but not really necessary.

First how to do it. Add a three way connector to the line. Put a cut off valve after the 3 way connector. Tie, tape, or use a a rubber band to tie a balloon to one side of the 3 way connector. At night turn off the control valve and the CO2 backs up into the balloon. In the morning open the valve and the CO2 leaves the balloon. Repeat. You need to change the balloon about every two weeks. I would suggest water balloon balloons because they are stronger.

However, I have found that it is not necessary to stop CO2 at night into small tanks. In my 5 gallon I just put a cigarette filter in the end of the air line that feeds the CO2 into the tank. I put that end under the filter out flow. No problems with my Beta and snails. I am doing this with a 3 gallon jar tank and no problems.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode