Something wrong with my tank, i think it might be too much CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Something wrong with my tank, i think it might be too much CO2?

Okay, so my tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks now, and except for algea growth(wich will probably fix itself when i put some flying foxes and sakura shrimp in there.

My water parameters are fine, exactly the same as my low light tank except for KH, wich is higher and PH, but nothing to the extreme.

To test my water, if it would be decent for fish, I decided to put in some Red cherry sakura shrimp(i have several 100's in my other community tank, they breed like crazy).

When i let them get used to the water everything seemed fine, then when i put them in, they kept swimming to the surface(which i have never seen any of them do before in the other tank, or on the internet when looking up how to care for them a few years back) for about half an hour, then dropping to the bottom(probably being exhausted). A few hours later they seemed alright and where munching on my algea. 2 days later, all 5 of them where K.O., laying like dead on the bottom of my aquarium.

They didn't lose their color, like dead shrimp usually do, so i figured i might save some of them. I took out the ones i could find(some must have been in the vegitation). All 3 i took out and threw back into my community tank layed there on the bottom for about 3 minutes, then started moving around again.

My guess is there's too much CO2 in the tank and not enough O2, because since its a DIY system, i keep it running at night aswel?

I distribute the CO2 trough my filtration system, so the aquarium has a constant flow of micro bubbles flowing everywhere. I don't have any devices to test my CO2, nor do i have the money or intention to buy one. I had 4 bottles(5liters each) pumping co2 in my system.

I downgraded to 2 2l bottles and a ceramic diffuser to see if that helps.

Any input or idea what it might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 03:47 PM
Planted Member

Do you have a bubble counter or a drop checker? Both are a must with any co2 setup
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I guess, but like i said, its a DIY, it had 3 tubes going in, which irregularly sent in bubbles so hard to count. Also, the tubings where slightly bigger then normal tubings so that it could hold more pressure... so hard to give u a correct answer on that

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 03:52 PM
Planted Member

Invest in a real bubblecounter and drop checker switch from diy to dosing excel, youll keep killing animals is my guess
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slythy View Post
Invest in a real bubblecounter and drop checker switch from diy to dosing excel, youll keep killing animals is my guess
thx for the tips, but that wasn't really my question, nor do i have the money to invest in anything at the moment, like stated in my post
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 04:09 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Figure out how much CO2 you're injecting. Don't use excel in a tank with shrimps.

You can quickly guesstimate by measuring the pH with no CO2 and pH after a few hours of CO2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hmmn i'll check, with CO2 its 7.2? i got rid of it now, i'll see what it is tommorow morning
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Since you so not willing to spend additional money, take down the co2. You have no means of measuring to provide safe levels therefore putting your livestock at risk.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
You said the tank has been cycling. I don't suppose you have a test kit for ammonia and nitrites?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That would mean having to change my lights(too bright to have no co2) and my plants would die because they need co2.. So thats like 100 dollars on plants wasted... I would rather not.. I got the co2 idea from this site, it said nowhere i had to buy an expensive co2 measuring machine
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Drop check is 10$...

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Banned

Plants release CO2 at night, consume O2
Shrimp too
and your DIY puts out co2 at night as well..

my first guess would be too much CO2

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Planted Member

If killing animals over $30 in equipment is too much please dont house animals and just have plants.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What is the size of your tank? When I had DIY yeast, 500ml bottle was enough for the drop checker to turn green in a 20G tank. So I am assuming that 4 bottles are way too high. Investing in a drop checker is your best bet. It is less than 10$. Much cheaper than your fish and Shrimps you are trying to protect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Have you considered building a drop checker, a bubble counter or both?

Both can be built with the normal home items that are often trashed. A bubble counter can be as simple as a tube going into a jar of liquid and a tube coming out to the tank. It may not be elegant but it does the same job as a ready made one. Since DIY CO2 is often at low pressure, most any way to seal the tubing and jar will do for the low pressure.
Much the same can be said for a drop checker. My first was a simple DIY bottle because I wanted to see some results before adding money to the game.
Both work but just not going to impress anybody!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode