Leveling a tank after up and going. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Leveling a tank after up and going.

I should know this , but I have never had to do it . I have a 30 gal long tank that sits on a piece of OSB bigger than the bottom of the tank stand . It all sits on carpet . Over time the tank has gotten out of level enough that it concerns me . My question is should I shim between the stand and OSB or between the OSB and the carpet ? I am thinking between the board and carpet , but would like some suggestions . Thanks ,
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 12:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Between the board and the carpet. If you shim the tank and the board you will create uneven pressure points on the bottom rim of the tank.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks tuffgong . That was my thinking . I wish I had space in a room with hard floor to move it to...lol

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tuffgong probably answered for most people - don't expect too many others saying "what he said". Most of us have been through that situation.

Blessed are the flexible!
For they shall not be bent out of shape!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gotcha
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
It doesn't matter. The pressure point is already there. But for looks between the board and the carpet.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Shimming under the board is better, but if you have to shim extensively reconsider. OSB isn't strong enough to hold the weight of the tank so it will deflect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorwoo View Post
Shimming under the board is better, but if you have to shim extensively reconsider. OSB isn't strong enough to hold the weight of the tank so it will deflect.
Think about this though. A typical is shim is what about 2" wide? You put that between the wood and the carpet you've got all that weight on a 2" x 6" area (give or take). That just means that the weight of that corner is concentrated on the area of the shim. Shimming between the stand and the wood will disperse some of the pressure going to the carpet and the padding over a larger area.

As I said before the fact that the corner is low is already creating a pressure point and shimming will alleviate the hot spot making where you put the shim irrelevant

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You have given me some food for thought . The tank is leaning forward about 1/4 inch . I was just going to shim across the front edge , 8 to 10 shims so I figure the weight will be distributed evenly enough . The whole setup probably weighs no more than 400 lbs . If I have any wood the right thickness I could put a strip across the whole front of the OSB and carpet .
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If I understand your set-up, you have a OSB board laying on the carpet, with the stand sitting on that board, and the tank sitting on the stand. I wouldn't even try putting shims between the board and the carpet - they would gradually sink into the carpet. I would try to put shims under the stand, on the board. If the stand has feet, you need to shim just the feet. But, if the stand doesn't have feet, you will do much better with a strip of shims across the front, under the stand front edge, since that is low. I have had this problem too, and finally gave up on the board, just accepting that the stand will leave a visible compressed mark on the carpet. Then I shimmed between the carpet and stand, with long strips of shim. I found that strips of wood veneer worked best as shims. I hope you plan to remove most of the water from the tank before shimming, so you don't have to lift the full tank to install the shims.

Hoppy
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am going to do it Sunday when I do weekly WC so 30% of the water will be gone and I am going to remove more and save to put back in . I should be able to get shims under it then . I will post back with results . Thanks all .
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think you should probably try and shim both ends at the same time. It's probably leaning because it's sitting on the carpet tack strip in the back. If you lift one corner at a time it's going to flex everything. Good luck!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I thought of the tack strip , but I have it a good 12 inches from the wall and on just the carpet . I am not sure why it settled like it did . I plan on doing the whole front at once if I can . Thanks for the well wishes , we will see tomorrow .
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I assume based on the 3 day lapse and the promise of an update 2 days ago that your tank cracked and the massive flood washed you out your front door and down the stairs breaking all ten of your fingers preventing you from posting an update. I'm currently searching local hospitals for a Lee, but even narrowed down to North Georgia I'm having difficulty locating you. (Incidentally, I'm from Canton/Ball Ground myself)

(Or perhaps you just got busy?)

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry about that . Yes got busy trying to get a house ready to sell . All went well . I shimmed along the whole front of tank between OSB and carpet . I used 6 shims and it is still level today . I expect the shims will sink into the carpet some , but hopefully not enough to worry about . The tank was easy to tip a bit so my wife could put the shims under it after I took over half the water out . By the way I am in Woodstock,Ga .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode