Under tank lighting - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By slythy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Under tank lighting

I love my tank, but hate not being able to see in the stand. i thought i would share what I did to fix it!

Items needed

Soldering Iron
Solder
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RLZRI7U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
http://www.amazon.com/JACKYLED-Switching-Wireless-Switches-Cameras-Audio/dp/B00FXN4TZG/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1444789483&sr=1-5&keywords=12v+Ac+Dc+adaptor
http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Limit-Switch-Roller-Action/dp/B0052ITO8O/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1444789360&sr=1-3&keywords=roller+switch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QTCBZ4I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

roughly $25

so heres a small diagram I drew up for you guys:

Ok, so you will need to cut the led strips to length, they have a small line where you can cut. You will need to cut/scrape off a layer of the rubber off the contacts to expose them. Tin the wire and the led contacts to make it easier.

For the switch I used to Positive side of the circuit but you can use either so don't worry to much about it. What you want to do is connect the wires to the NC and Com pins so that when the door is closed it opens the circuit, thus turning the lights off. I used industrial velcro i got from work. you can screw yours in or glue it in.

Let me know if you have any questions let me know!
Vidikron and Vidikron like this.

Last edited by slythy; 10-14-2015 at 11:29 PM. Reason: i a word
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very nice. I wired 2 CFL bulbs under my stand on a a switch. But I like the LED setup.
Good job!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 11:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I love the switch. I didn't know the name for that type of switch, so this article is helpful.

Your link for the LEDs and wire is the same by the way.

Question: Lets say you have a 8' stand and 2 sets of doors. How would you wire that up? I think one switch for a long stand wouldn't be ideal since you'd have to open that door to turn the lights on. Just wanting an opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 12:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

@Freemananana

Have 2 press to open switches in parallel - one for each door. You will have the lights come on on opening of either of the 2 doors; but you need to shut both before the lights go off.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 01:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I plugged a clip on shop light into my Apex controller, turn it on by web interface when I need to work in the cabinet, turn if off when I'm done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
I plugged a clip on shop light into my Apex controller, turn it on by web interface when I need to work in the cabinet, turn if off when I'm done.
i think having to go on an app/web everytime seems alot more painful then opening the door you are going to open anyway haha.

also here is how you would wire multiple switches to the circuit.

you can add as many switches as you would like, but if you dont want the whole stand to light up, maybe 2 individual circuits would be better but i dont see lighting the whole thing up being an issue.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 03:14 AM
Algae Grower

You've inspired me to do this myself. I was just using a small LED flashlight to use under my tank, but I like this idea much better.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slythy View Post
i think having to go on an app/web everytime seems alot more painful then opening the door you are going to open anyway haha.
My Apex page is set as my browsers home page and any time I'm working in the cabinet my computer is just across the room. I also turn off the filter, pump and heater via Apex when working in the tank, it keeps me from having to handle plugs (plugging/unplugging is a PITA) with damp hands.

Though I do have to say that when I saw this thread this morning I wished I would have grabbed those LEDs we found in that car yesterday at the junk yard, they would have been perfect to do a project like this with.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Thanks! I have never wired switches in parallel, so the idea didn't come to me. Thank you very much.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Let me know how it goes for you guys! Glad i could inspire you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode