Water flow meter anyone? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water flow meter anyone?

Hi

I have a water line that goes from my kitchen to my aquarium with an inline carbon filter. I also have an PVC overflow setup thats routed to take the water out. So my water change is not the same everyweek. I time it but not sure if it is 50% or not because the inline pressure keeps changing.

Is there a cheap water flow meter that I can add to my water line to track the amount of water added? If not, please give me some suggestion to measure the water. Any ideas welcome. It is a 1/4 " OD line like the one that goes into your refrigerator ice maker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower

Haha! You and I think alike my friend. Here's one I found for the same reason. P3 P0550 Water Meter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058EOC5M..._NXWgwbHDF1CH5. Fits standard hoses so not your 1/4" line but it at least gives you an idea what to look for.
plantetra and plantetra like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enano View Post
Haha! You and I think alike my friend. Here's one I found for the same reason. P3 P0550 Water Meter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058EOC5M..._NXWgwbHDF1CH5. Fits standard hoses so not your 1/4" line but it at least gives you an idea what to look for.
LOL!!!
I am glad I have company.
I saw this but converting from 1/4 to this size will lose all the pressure and may give wrong reading. This will be my last resort. Did u buy one already?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:42 AM
Algae Grower

Yep I run a siphon to 1/2" irrigation tubing out my door to the garden and then a faucet adaptor to a 50' pocket hose to the meter to a pvc return into the tank. An inline carbon filter is a good idea. I add the dechlorinator to the tank before I start running the return probably not as safe as your method.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh wow!! So I will have to look into converting 1/4" pipe to this size and then a hose to the tank. Could you please send me the dimensions of the in and out of that equipment? How accurate are they? Is there an option to calibrate?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
No sure if you are looking for something to automate it but you can find this one over at adafruit

https://www.adafruit.com/products/828

david
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingHDTV View Post
No sure if you are looking for something to automate it but you can find this one over at adafruit

https://www.adafruit.com/products/828

david
Thanks for the idea.

i did see this but it looks like it will need an LCD and an Arduino board to run this. I have all of them except the sensor but the total cost will be way more than 20$. I am looking into finding something cheap like the one mentioned above but for a normal line preferably 1/4 "

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Flow Sensor

Try these.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by catskin View Post
Flow Sensor

Try these.
Wont it need a controller and display?

Is there a way to buy TDS meter, check the TDS value of tap water and tank and wait till it dilutes by 30% to 50%? Has anyone tried this? Is it possible at all? Need not be TDS. It could even be temperature or PH.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 03:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
scroll down. 20 bucks. (19.90)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 04:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
http://www.amazon.com/External-threads-Sensor-Flowmeter-control/dp/B00EXGC6TA
I think 3/4" is the max for that particular vendor of flow sensor. If you are comfortable with Arduino's you can save by just building what you need using an AVR instead of a full blown Arduino.

Are you trying to automate the water change process? I'm not sure I'd trust a flow meter to that task, a level sensor or float would be a better bet. If you just want indication, why not look into one of the pool/spa flow indicators that can be installed in PVC pipe? Blue-White makes some nice looking ones I was thinking about putting on my sump return for giggles.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

I presume all these flow meters would need relatively "clear" water to work and probably wouldn't work so well with plant debris/leaves passing through them? Reason I'm asking isn't directly related to the OP's purposes, but rather I was thinking it might be handy for my own manual water changes, but I often purposely suck up debris.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Planted Member

You can get flow meters that can handle just about anything, but you jump up in price.
I agree with other people that this information just doesn't seem useful. Even if you were wanting volume measurements for some type of chemical calculation, I would think that an approximation would be good enough(i.e. ran garden hose for 10 min @3 gpm =30 gal).

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Ordinary fools are all right; you can talk to them, and try to help them out. But pompous fools -- guys who are fools and are covering it all over and impressing people as to how wonderful they are with all this hocus pocus -- THAT, I CANNOT STAND! -Richard Feynman
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantetra View Post
Thanks for the idea.

i did see this but it looks like it will need an LCD and an Arduino board to run this. I have all of them except the sensor but the total cost will be way more than 20$. I am looking into finding something cheap like the one mentioned above but for a normal line preferably 1/4 "
1/4 inch, I suspect "paddle wheel" type meter..

Flow Sensor

note: 1/4" BSP (british 1/4 NOT usa compatable.)
On the bottom they have 3/8 barb..

That site that shall remain nameless has 1/4npt types w/ gauges.. complete $42

Quote:
Flow rate measuring range: 0.16 to 2.1 GPM (gallons per minute)
1/4" NPT male thread

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Planted Member

collect your overflow in a couple of 5 gallon buckets and record the time to fill. Do this several times and take an average. The more you do it the closer to average you'll be. Then use that flow to figure out time to 50%.

cost: free.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode