Help me create a contraption to mount CPU 120mm fans on a rimless tank. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help me create a contraption to mount CPU 120mm fans on a rimless tank.

As the heading says, I need a way to mount the fans on my rimless tank.

Right now I have them placed in a very fragile way, with one edge of the fan over the tank glass and other on top my finnex fixture. This essentially constrains my led fixture placement since I can't move the led fixture in the middle of the tank, where ideally it should be.

Any brethren did a diy before? Pics would strongly help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not exactly an kdea of a how to, but have you considered making the mount attach to the finnex light instead of the tank rim?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

I hope I'm understanding you correctly- you're trying to fasten fans onto your tank so that it'll bring down the temperature?

This is what I do to cool my tank

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
Not exactly an kdea of a how to, but have you considered making the mount attach to the finnex light instead of the tank rim?
Actually I've two tanks. One with the finnex planted plus 24x7 and other (shrimp tank) with finnex stingray clip. The problem would still remain. Moreover, I am looking at a more generic solution that'd work independently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveDynamic17 View Post
I hope I'm understanding you correctly- you're trying to fasten fans onto your tank so that it'll bring down the temperature?

This is what I do to cool my tank

You understanding is correct but unfortunately for some odd reason, I am not being able to view the pic you posted.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 04:06 AM
Algae Grower

show us how you put it currently

did you try using black zip-ties? you can fasten it to the lights probably. Center, towards the rear of it, facing down, if you get it.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 05:52 AM
Algae Grower

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is how the fans are mounted currently. Note that the light fixture is at about 30% of the depth of the tank.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Planted Member

PVC pipe and fittings are useful
Grab some small diameter pipe, elbows and tees and make yourself a little fan stand, design it the way you want, can spray paint it black so it doesn't stand out too much
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 09:26 PM
Algae Grower

You could buy yourself a large L bracket from the home improvement store. Attach the fan to one side of the bracket with screws. The other side of the bracket gets duct taped to the back of the tank or screwed into the wall.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 05:02 AM
Algae Grower

This is what I was saying.

Just use couple of zipties on each fan and you are done. The fans will face down hitting the water. Each tie will go around the fixture and close like a ring, you can join multiple ties to make a bigger ring.

Black zip-tie will conceal well

You could fix two on one-side, but having one on each side of fixture gives stability.

Cheers!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update:
Couldn't locate acrylic locally so I added a glass slab to support the fans and can now move the led fixture towards the center of the tank. I still can't control the angle of the fans but I guess I am happy with what I have now. It's almost invisible and unobtrusive.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
You may also be overworking the angle of the fans. I find it doesn't have to actually blow onto the water surface to cool.
If you are just moving the air over the top of the water so that new drier air is brought in, the evaporation will be the same. My room air can often go down into the 40% relative humidity while the air directly over the tank may be near 80%. So moving out 80% air and bringing in 40% air will give me the cooling needed.
I find it easier to stand the CPU fans vertical on the tank edge rather than at an angle.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 06:22 PM
Captain

sushantV, knowing these fans don't weigh very much, I do have another idea that would likely work for you. Question, do you have some old metal wire coat hangers, wire cutter, and pliers?

- GreggZ Tank Parameters
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Feel free to make a recommendation. I am sure I'll be able to improvise.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Captain

This is kinda what I was thinking of. Takes a little tweeking to get the angles right so that the assembly supports the weight evenly but, in the end is should be similar to lifting the light off the top of the rimless tank. Did something like this with computer fans and ended up zip tieing the longer runs on each side to the actual fan body. This allowed me to lift the assembly up as an entire unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fan Holder.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	525321  

sushantV and sushantV like this.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode