Frustrating! DIY Co2 leak after switching to 2 bottles. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Frustrating! DIY Co2 leak after switching to 2 bottles.

Arg!

So I recently went from a 1 bottle set up to a 2 bottle set up - both at 1.89L, hooked it up last night, had lackluster bubbles from my counter (thought maybe the yeast had gone bad), checked on it this morning and went to work....and when I came back home, my entire studio smelled like fermented yeast, no co2 coming out of the diffuser, and the bubble counter producing less than before.

So, a clear leak...but why?

My original bottle worked perfectly well, and so did the bubble counter and diffuser, so the leak must be because of the new bottle + equipment, right?

The only thing I added were:

-This Tee connecter:
http://www.petco.com/assets/product_...3967058CS1.jpg

-A new sealed bottle (sealed on top and bottom of cap), and two check valves on each bottle line BEFORE the bubble counter. There is an additional check valve on the line leading into the tank.

And this is the type of tubing i've been using:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFg0MzM=/z/mmkAAOSw9r1V-X9h/$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Also, attached is a picture of what the yeast looks like in BOTH bottles, not just the new one.

Anyone have any suggestions/clues? The DIY set ups are not even two months old, so I dont THINK the silicone could have worn down, but has anyone ever had it break while adjusting or twisting the caps? thats all I can think of. =/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1216.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	520745  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
spray with soapy water to see there the leak is.

ps. silicone doesn't stick to plastic well and should never be used to 'glue'.... Use a mechanical gasket thingy.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thank you for the quick response and helpful advice!

The second silicone bottle is definitely leaking from the top. It seems you are right; despite the two layers, it lifted up off the plastic. Is there a place I can find a mechanical lid? I dont think i've heard of one before. =(

Additionally, would that explain why both bottles have foamed? I figured the check valve would keep things separated...but perhaps not.

I'm hoping to get this DIY thing under control by next week, when my shrimps arrive, so the sooner I can order something the better!

Edit: something like this? http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...893917523.html Can I find this at home depot maybe?

Actually, after some searching is it these two right here? http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDE5WDUxMA==/z/xTUAAOSwMmBV7O2t/$_12.JPG

The deal was much better than what I was finding on other sites i decided to order it. Hopefully these work!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-23-2015 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 11:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I watched a few Youtube videos. I'm not sure how accurate they are where I'm just starting out, but they used hot glue on the inside and the outside to make an air tight seal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode