Citric acid and baking soda. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Citric acid and baking soda.

Hello all

I will be switching my Diy yeast method over to citric acid baking soda this weekend.

I have read a lot about the recipe and it calls for 200 gram baking soda with 200 ml water and 200 gram citric acid with 600 ml water. Which is a 1 to 1 ration and a 1 to 3 ratio.

My question is could I keep the same ratios and just bump up the mixture to get a longer production time?

Just weird I haven't seen or heard about somebody doing that so I figured there has to bs a reason.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Been using it for several months now.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=815241
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manif001 View Post
Hello all

I will be switching my Diy yeast method over to citric acid baking soda this weekend.

I have read a lot about the recipe and it calls for 200 gram baking soda with 200 ml water and 200 gram citric acid with 600 ml water. Which is a 1 to 1 ration and a 1 to 3 ratio.

My question is could I keep the same ratios and just bump up the mixture to get a longer production time?

Just weird I haven't seen or heard about somebody doing that so I figured there has to bs a reason.

Thanks

But to answer your question you would think so but no. Also I have found you need very little water on the baking soda side. Just enough to cover the powder.
Also watch which system you get. The one with the fixed bar connecting the bottles seems to have less problems.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 08:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manif001 View Post
Hello all

Thanks

Way back in the late 80's or early 90's I met Diana Walstad and I told her about using vinegar and baking soda. The means I was using to make co2. Yeast was the only method I recall talked about back then. Yeast sounded and still does soooo frickin' laborious. She wasn't impressed and wondered how I controlled the co2 amount generated. Anyway my point is I didn't do anything special. I simply dripped drop by drop vinegar onto a pile of dry baking soda. What I used to control the drip rate was a medical IV valve resembling this one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode