Order of DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Order of DIY CO2

Is this the right order?

2L Yeast --> check valve --> Gas Separator --> control valve --> bubble counter --> diffuser

I bought coke bottle cap with a gauge on eBay. Just realized that it is for the citric acid and baking soda method. It's the Popular A and B caps. Do you think it will will still work with yeast? I have no experi nce with the citric acid/baking soda method. Also, What gauge level should i be worried if the yeast bottle can explode due to the pressure? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:22 AM
Banned

PTrader: (16/100%)
Could you post a pic of the system your using?

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: .
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
Could you post a pic of the system your using?
Didn't make it yet, just the typical coke bottle setup.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Algae Grower

Looks to be correct order. I dont see why it would not work with a yeast mix. you may just be able to put a yeast mixture in each bottle. I dont think I would worry about the pressure. most will be going into your aquarium.

edit: did not realize how the citric acid method works, so it may not work with yeast. why not try out that method?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=815241

My tank journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rragan; 09-16-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Post research
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 04:02 PM
Banned

Only thing I would move would be the check valve. Put just before the diffuser that way the water will not be able to flow back into the system. If you don't then when you change out bottles it will back flow into your bubble counter. Was is a gas seperator? Never seen that before.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: .
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 07:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
You COULD use that, but to be honest I think using it with the citric acid would be a more steady flow and give you the option to turn it off at night. I am getting ready to dump the yeast for citric acid myself. The reason I say this is the way the Citric Acid works is based on the pressure difference in the 2 chambers, as the baking soda chamber looses pressure there is more in the citric acid acid side and it flows into the other chamber and adds more citric acid to react and create more pressure. End of the night you turn valve down and both chambers stabilize pressure and CO2 should (In theory) stop pretty fast.

If you DO use yeast with that, I would NOT turn it off at night by the control valve being the yeast will keep working all night, need to vent it off someplace or you have a pressure bomb.
Also, as others said, move the check valve.

EDIT>>>
Quote:
Was is a gas seperator? Never seen that before.
I took this as using the 2nd bottle as a makeshift "Bubble Counter" to "Separate" gas?

Main Tank

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If using yeast and sugar you want a check valve after each bottle so you can remove each bottle without losing pressure from the other bottle. Then both of those go to the bubble counter and then to your diffusor.

I have never used the citric acid method but it seems like it would be more expensive than 2 cups of sugar and a 1/2 tsp of yeast a week.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Banned

Ah ok. Good idea on the valves with each bottle. I might have to start doing this so it takes less time to get my flow going after a bottle change.Ty for the info

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: .
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
why do you need a gas separator and a bubble counter?
I guess by gas separator you mean another bottle with water through which the CO2 will come out of the yest-reactor. Well, that is your bubble counter
put check-valve after each bottle, and just in case, one after the bubble-counter bottle.

you should be good to go.

46 Bowfront:

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
For what size of tank is this for?

You need more than 1 bottle to make the co2 consistent. Check out this site
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 09:42 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me View Post
If you DO use yeast with that, I would NOT turn it off at night by the control valve being the yeast will keep working all night, need to vent it off someplace or you have a pressure bomb.
I see there are 2 sets, one with plastic valve and one with metal. The metal one seems to have a pressure relief on it so if you got the one that has a side cylinder coming out of the side of the pressure gauge I would think it would not explode, just release some CO2 if too much gets created when off when turned off.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about...

Main Tank

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 10:57 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post

Lol.. Making wine while pumping co2, win win. If I had more room I would do that, have all the brewing supplies from making Mead.

Back on topic, citric acid and baking soda are not that expensive and the way it perks from one to the other seems a little more consistent than yeast so less need for multiple bottles. I am just guessing being I am still doing yeast, but about to switch to ca\bs.

Main Tank

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:25 AM
Banned

That is exactly what I use. Not sure if it's the exact brand but all the parts are the same. Bought mine on evilbay and the pressure gauge doesn't work. The system still works and my bottles don't ever feel like they are going to explode.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:10 PM. Reason: .
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropline View Post
Lol.. Making wine while pumping co2, win win. If I had more room I would do that, have all the brewing supplies from making Mead.

Back on topic, citric acid and baking soda are not that expensive and the way it perks from one to the other seems a little more consistent than yeast so less need for multiple bottles. I am just guessing being I am still doing yeast, but about to switch to ca\bs.
Here is a thread on the citric acid Co2 system. I tried and trashed the system. I wish I had started with a flow control system using a paintball tank.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
why do you need a gas separator and a bubble counter?
I guess by gas separator you mean another bottle with water through which the CO2 will come out of the yest-reactor. Well, that is your bubble counter
put check-valve after each bottle, and just in case, one after the bubble-counter bottle.

you should be good to go.
Gas Separator is empty 2L bottle. It it used incase some of the yeast solution touches the tubing. It would flow up due to the pressure. So the yeast solution will now sit at the bottom of the gas separator and not go any farther in the system. It is a means of safety. I didn't want to use the bubble counter as the gas separator because it defeats the purpose and I have to wash out the contaminated bubble counter.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post

16 gallon. I wanted to make so I change every month. Changing every week sounds like a hassle

Bump:
Quote:
That is exactly what I use. Not sure if it's the exact brand but all the parts are the same. Bought mine on evilbay and the pressure gauge doesn't work. The system still works and my bottles don't ever feel like they are going to explode.
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/2...-Kit-Gauge.jpg

What I bought. Probably not going to work for yeast.

Bump:
Quote:
Only thing I would move would be the check valve. Put just before the diffuser that way the water will not be able to flow back into the system. If you don't then when you change out bottles it will back flow into your bubble counter. Was is a gas seperator? Never seen that before.
Check valves are put in with the arrow of CO2 gas flow correct?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode