Does this Co2 diffusion look good enough for DHG? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does this Co2 diffusion look good enough for DHG?

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pGallery.php?do=view&id=12009[/IMG]

Currently have a 20 long tank with diy yeast-sugar co2 with ecocomplete substrate and normal sand substrate on top. The tank contains seiryu rocks for shrimp that I will later add and it has a 30 Aquaclear with a corner sponge filter rated for 10 gallons.

My glass diffuser broke and I had no other means of diffusing the co2. I put the tubing inside of the intake of my HOB, but it was too loud. Instead, I used a cigarette filter and set it under the outflow of the filter rather than the intake because the intake has a sponge that doesn't very well absorb the co2. This sponge is purposed for my future shrimp. I'm wondering if the co2 is good enough in terms of diffusion being placed where it is. The sponge filter is in on 24/7 and was wondering if the surface agitation causes a loss of co2. Thanks!

PS. just put in dwarf hairgrass two days ago and I will be dosing with API liquid co2 (2mL) daily to help. Am I overkilling or nah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 03:41 AM
Banned

PTrader: (16/100%)
The cotton idea is good to make small bubbles but I wouldn't recommend using a cigarette butt. Cigs have hundreds of bad chemicals in them that could be an issue with your tank. Use cotton balls to get the same effect but safer. I use a glass diffuser and have it placed right under the outlet part of my hang on back filter so it curves and pushes the bubbles to the other side of my tank. Plants pearl like crazy. Surface agitation will dissipate co2 faster. I use floaters to reduce light and reduce agitation.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

But I mean would there still be some co2 availalble for the plants or will oxygen take up most of the tank? my diy system is at 1 bps and the output is pretty good. Also, thanks for the cotton tip, could the stick part of the q-tip be used or would I use the swab end? Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:07 AM
Banned

PTrader: (16/100%)
As long as it isn't heavy movement up top you shouldn't have Alot of dissipation. You want it close to no movement up top. If it does alot of ripples or looks like mini rapids then it will dissipate co2 a lot. Don't think the stick part of the swab will work. It's more like rolled up cardboard and probably won't let co2 through. Use the swab end and try to use only the cotton part of it.

Edit. Also meant to tell you you can use cut up chop sticks in place of the cotton. Apparently the wood they use is very porous and makes tiny bubbles. YouTube it.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 10-26-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! Will look into it. Cigarrette is temporary until I get a decent co2 diffuser.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 05:27 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
That AQ filter is a superb diffuser - better than any glass or ceramic disc. A piece of cotton ball stuffed tightly in the line, or a piece of chopstick also works great as a ''pre-diffuser"

There's a link in my sig where several of us discuss different ways to use AQ filters as a diffuser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yup, I use the chopstick method in my Aquaclear intake and it just makes a mist sound and all the co2 is pushed down to the bottom of the tank so it has maximum time to dissolve.

I would ditch the sponge filter until you can power it with a powerhead. The surface agitation of all the bubbles will let all your co2 escape.

Tags
co2 advice, co2 diffusion, dhg, diy co2, diy co2 diffuser

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode